Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The RGM-79 GM is a reinterpretation of the RGM-79 GM from the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime series. It solely appears in the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga series. An improved version of the standard mass-produced GM, only a small number of these units were fielded late in the war. One such unit is piloted by Sayla Mass.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A custom RGM-79 GM with reinforced armor to increase its durability. Its performance exceeds that of the regular production GM, and is implied to possibly be on par with that of the Gundam. In addition to improved armor, this mobile suit is able to carry more grenades, and is equipped with 2 beam sabers instead of the standard GM's 1. Like the Gundam following its refit at Jaburo, the GM is equipped with a "Core Pod" escape craft.
- Vulcan Gun
- These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. The particles for the beam saber are stored by E-cap in the hilt of the saber, which is recharged from the GM's reactor when the saber is returned to its socket. Once activated, beam sabers do not rely on the mobile suit's reactor and can be thrown or discarded as decoys. The beam saber is most often used for close range combat or as an emergency weapon once all other ammunition has been depleted. Unlike the standard GM, this model is equipped with two beam sabers.
- Beam Rifle
- A revolutionary weapon for it's time, the beam rifle making use of the Federations E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's beam cannons. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle can penetrate even the thickest armor and destroy its target with a single shot. One weak point of the rifle was its energy limits.
- Hand Grenades
- Modeled after the Model 24 grenade of Germany, these waist mounted grenades can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time. They are quite effective in mid-range anti-MS combat.
- Hand-carried or forearm-mounted, the shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits.
Appearing in Vol. 21 of the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, this improved variant of the RGM-79 GM is a high-performance variant for ace pilot, equipped with additional armor and weapons including grenades and a second beam saber. Only a small number of these machines appear to have been produced, one of which is piloted by Sayla Mass, one of the crew members of the legendary SCV-70 White Base. Though she had prior experience piloting a Core Fighter and Core Booster, the Battle of A Baoa Q was the first time Sayla sortied in a mobile suit. Despite this, she performed very well, at one point defeating a MAN-03 Braw Bro with apparently little effort. Such was the performance of the GM and Sayla's skill in its use that the Braw Bro's pilot, shortly before his defeat, erroneously assumed his opponent to be the infamous "Fed Newtype" Amuro Ray.
Sayla's GM was severely damaged in combat, and she abandoned it - escaping in the Core Pod, which landed on A Baoa Qu. At least one additional unit of this model appeared among the Federation Forces that landed on A Baoa Qu and engaged the defending Zeon forces in the fortress itself.