Technology & Combat Characteristics
An improved variant of the RGM-86R GM III, the Nouvel GM III differs from standard GM III in the fact that it is a completely new design, rather than an upgraded GM II like the former. The Nouvel GM III runs a more powerful generator and features redesigned head components containing improved sensors and increased storage for vulcan ammo. The chest components are different, incorporating the generator with four exhaust ducts. The Nouvel GM III shares the same weapons load-out as its predecessor: two head mounted Vulcan Guns and a pair of Beam Sabers. It also can be equipped with two shoulder mounted 4-tube Medium Missile Pods and two hip mounted 2-tube Large Missile Pods.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles. The Nouvel GM III mounts a pair of vulcan gúns on it's head, which have much more ammunition compared to the GM III's.
- Beam Saber
- Beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Nouvel GM III is equipped with two beam sabers stored in backpack recharge racks that are taken from the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II's design.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle used by the RGM-86R Nouvel GM III is upgraded from that used by the RMS-179 GM II and has a power rating of 2.8 MW.
- 4-tube Medium Missile Pod
- The Nouvel GM III can be outfitted with a 4-tube medium missile pod on each shoulder. Each pod has its own targeting camera, allowing for more efficient target acquisition during combat. In the same fashion as the unit's other missile pods, this pod can be ejected at any time to increase the unit's mobility.
- 2-tube Large Missile Pod
- Further adding to the Nouvel GM III's offensive capabilities is a pair of hip-mounted 2-tube large missile pods. The missiles themselves are on a similar scale to warship missiles, with a single missile having the potential to destroy a mobile suit. The launchers themselves are allowed a bit of mobility on the hip skirts, but are largely cumbersome with respect to the unit's arms. In the same fashion as the 4-tube missile pods, these can be ejected at any time.
Soon after the Gryps Conflict came to a close, The Nouvel GM III became the main mobile suit model of the Anti Earth Union Group, taking the place of their old and obsolesce MSA-003 Nemo. The suit was also used by Earth Federation Forces  alongside the RMS-179 GM II and RGM-86R GM III before being replaced by the RGM-89 Jegan. In U.C.0094, a Nouvel GM III boarded by Fresberg Corps pilot Rex Fabio was deployed for technical tests with the MSN-001X Gundam Delta Kai at Area X of the Mariana Base.
- Nouvel is French for "new".
- ↑ Dai Nippon Printing "Gundam Sentinel Gundam Wars III", page 106.