Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-89D Jegan is an improved version of the basic RGM-89 Jegan and uses similar weaponry. It features upgrades in performance and is designed to mount additional equipment on its body, with mount latches present on the shoulder armor and front of the waist. Typically, teams of these Jegans would work in concert with more advanced Federation mobile suits such as the RGM-89S Stark Jegan, the RGZ-95 ReZEL, and the RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type.
- Vulcan Gun Pod
- The vulcan gun pod is an optional close-range defensive armaments mounted on the head that is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are carried in the grenade rack mounted on the left side of the waist. They can be thrown and set to detonate upon impact with the target, or timed to explode after a preset time. They can also be launched directly from the rack, and function like self-propelled homing missiles via their own optical guidance systems.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Jegan is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack located in the right hip armor. The Jegan's beam saber features a pair of beam emitters which can be adjusted to a high or low-output mode.
- In place of a beam rifle, the Jegan can be outfitted with a bazooka. As with its human-sized counterpart, the bazooka fires explosive physical rounds at a high velocity that do significant damage on impact. Although it does not have the same penetrative power as a beam rifle, the bazooka does more extensive damage and is easily capable of destroying a mobile suit in one shot or break through the armor of a battleship.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle carried by the Jegan is a rapid fire, short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Jegan's camera sensor.
- Beam Rifle~ReZEL's version
- The same beam rifle used by the RGZ-95 ReZEL, which is powered by a replaceable energy pac. The particle beam fired from the beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Lastly, the beam rifle's muzzle can generate a beam blade, allowing the rifle to function as a long beam saber.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle used by the Marasai and Hizack. The beam rifle is powered by a rechargeable energy cap and capable of firing concentrated mega particles, a shot can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist beam attacks.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- 2-tube Small Missile Launcher
- The Jegan's shield possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with two 2-tube small missile launchers. These small missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
Several years after the introduction of the mass production RGM-89 Jegan, its design was overhauled and given a package of basic upgrades to bring its technology up-to-date and relevant when compared to the newer high-performance machines being issued to special forces such as the RGZ-95 ReZEL. This upgraded model, known as the RGM-89D Jegan D Type, would be used in UC 0096 against the The Sleeves and combat their mobile suits.
- RGM-89D Jegan D Type (Initial Deployment Type)
- The Jegan D Type (Initial Deployment Type) is the initial production version of the Jegan D Type. It was first seen used in UC 0094.
Notes and Trivia
- RGM-89D Jegan Type-D on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89D Jegan on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- RGM-89D Jegan D-Type on Gundams Over Germany
- RGM-89D Jegan D-Type (Initial Deployment Type) on Gundams Over Germany