The RGM-89De Jegan [ECOAS Type] (aka Jegan "Four Eyes") is a special operations mobile suit based on the RGM-89D Jegan for use by ECOAS. It first appeared in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-89De Jegan [ECOAS Type] is a special version of the RGM-89D Jegan used by the Earth Federation's special task group ECOAS, and are deployed in ECOAS missions that are expected to involve direct combat with mobile suits. It has a special visor and extra chest armor for increased survivability. The ECOAS Type features the same armaments as the normal Jegan, consisting of a beam saber, a beam rifle, a three slot hand grenade rack, and a shield that has two two-tube missile launchers built in. It could also be outfitted with a bazooka for increased firepower and custom units with different weaponry also exist.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are carried in the grenade rack mounted on the left side armor. They can be thrown and set to detonate upon impact with the target, or timed to explode after a preset time. They can also be launched directly from the rack, and function like self-propelled homing missiles via their own optical guidance systems. Replaced by a different kind of grenade on Conroy Haagensen's unit.
- "Fire Nut" Grenade
- The Jegan [ECOAS Type] used by Conroy Haagensen has a different grenade rack from that of the standard unit, and it holds a special kind of grenade known as "Fire Nut". Originally featured on RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type, it can be hand-thrown like regular grenade, and upon impact with the target, would engulf it in flames.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated, and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber can cut through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Jegan [ECOAS Type] has a beam saber stored in the right side armor. It features a pair of beam emitters which can be adjusted to a high or low-output mode.
- Box Beam Saber
- Besides the standard beam saber stored in the right side armor, Conroy's Jegan has another beam saber integrated into a box-shaped device mounted on its right forearm for quick deployment.
- In place of a beam rifle, the Jegan [ECOAS Type] can be outfitted with a bazooka. As with its human-sized counterpart, the bazooka fires explosive physical rounds at a high velocity that do significant damage on impact. Although it does not have the same penetrative power as a beam rifle, the bazooka does more extensive damage and is easily capable of destroying a mobile suit in one shot or break through the armor of a battleship.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- 2-tube Small Missile Launcher
- The Jegan [ECOAS Type]'s shield possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with two 2-tube small missile launchers. These small missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapon.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle carried by the Jegan is a rapid fire, short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Jegan's camera sensor.
- A close range weapon used by Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type), it is a shorter version of the Jegan's beam rifle, but can still penetrate enemy mobile suit's armor. It can be fired in rapid fire mode. Conroy typically use the handgun when his Jegan's special visor is activated for better accuracy. It is stored on the Jegan's lower left leg's hardpoint when not in use.
- Dagger Knife
- Used by Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type), this physical blade is stored in a sheath located on the left shoulder. It is stored with its handle facing downwards to facilitate drawing of the weapon during close combat. During the encounter with the Neo Zeong, the Dagger Knife is used to cut the wires of the wired large funnel bits.
- Mega Bazooka Launcher
- Created during the Gryps War, the mega bazooka launcher is the most powerful class of beam weapon used by mobile suits. It is a large mega particle cannon with firepower exceeding that of a warship's guns. Instead of being carried by a mobile suit into battle (like in the Gryps War), the mega bazooka launcher used by Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type) is stationed on the Nahel Argama's deck. It serves as a a replacement for a damaged main cannon on the ship, and is powered using that damaged cannon's power supply. With his Jegan (ECOAS Type)'s Precision Firing Sensor, Conroy would use the launcher for long range sniping.
Special Equipment & Features
- Special Visor
- Mounted on the head, the special visor lowers and covers the normal visor of the suit when in use. This special visor is equipped with additional sensors, granting the suit better firing accuracy in mid to long range battle. The visor also improves the suit's ability to search and detect enemy units.
- Precision Firing Sensor
- The special visor of Conroy's Jegan(ECOAS Type) has an additional precision firing sensor located in the centre. This additional sensor further improves the suit's firing accuracy.
Two RGM-89De Jegan (ECOAS Type) were first seen accompanying the Unicorn Gundam toward the wreckage of Laplace. The mobile suits were also seen taking action against the Sleeves interception attack on Laplace. Lieutenant Commander Conroy Haagensen used his unit to great effect during the battle, shooting down a AMX-102 Zssa and MS-14J ReGelgu in defense of the Nahel Argama.
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type (Conroy Haagensen Use)
Notes and Trivia
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type on Gundams Over Germany
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type (Conroy Custom) on Gundams Over Germany