RGM-89De Jegan [ECOAS Type]
The RGM-89De Jegan [ECOAS Type] (aka Jegan "Four Eyes") is a general-purpose special operations mobile suit based on the RGM-89D Jegan for use by ECOAS. It first appeared in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-89De Jegan [ECOAS Type] is a special version of the RGM-89D Jegan used by the Earth Federation's special task group ECOAS, and are deployed in situations where ECOAS missions are expected to involve direct combat with mobile suits. It has a special visor and extra chest armor for increased survivability. The ECOAS Type features the same armaments as the normal Jegan, consisting of a beam saber, a rechargeable energy cap using beam rifle, a three slot hand grenade rack, and a shield that has two two-tube missile launchers built in. The suit could also be outfitted with a bazooka for increased firepower and custom units with different weaponry do exist.
- 3-Slot Hand Grenade Rack
- The grenades stored in this waist-mounted rack can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time. The grenades can also be launched directly from the rack and can function like self-propelled homing missiles as they have their own optical guidance systems. This weapon is replaced by a different kind of grenade rack on Conroy Haagensen's unit.
- Grenade Rack
- The custom Jegan [ECOAS Type] used by Conroy Haagensen has a different grenade rack on left waist armor from that of the standard unit. This special grenade rack holds a kind of grenade known as "Fire Nut".
- "Fire Nut" Grenades
- Originally featured on RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type, the Fire Nut is a compact and powerful bomb which can be hand-thrown like regular grenade by Federation's mobile suits. It can be set to detonate upon impact with the target, and it is powerful enough to destroy an enemy's mobile suit.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Jegan is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack located in the right hip armor. It features a pair of beam emitters which can be adjusted to a high or low-output mode.
- Box Beam Saber
- Besides the standard beam saber stored in the right hip armor, Conroy's Jegan has another beam saber that is integrated directly into a box-shaped device mounted on its right forearm for quick deployment.
- In place of a beam rifle, the Jegan can be outfitted with a bazooka. As with its human-sized counterpart the bazooka fires explosive physical rounds at a high velocity that do significant damage on impact. Although it does not have the same penetrative power as a beam rifle, the bazooka does more extensive damage and is easily capable of destroying a mobile suit in one shot or break through the armor of a battleship.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. A shield can be equipped to either arm of the Jegan in order to increase defense against both beam and physical attacks.
- 2-tube Small Missile Launcher
- The Jegan's shield also possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with two 2-tube small missile launchers. These small missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapon.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle carried by the Jegan is a rapid fire, short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Jegan's camera sensor.
- A weapon used by Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type), it is a shorter version of the Jegan's beam rifle, but still possesses enough power to penetrate enemy mobile suit's armor and can be used in close combat due to its size. It can be fired in rapid fire mode. Conroy would typically use the handgun when his Jegan's special visor is down for better accuracy. It is stored on the Jegan's lower left leg's hardpoint when not in use.
- Dagger Knife
- Used by Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type), this physical blade is stored in a sheath located on the left shoulder.
- Mega Bazooka Launcher
- The most powerful class of beam weapon used by mobile suits. The mega launcher is a large mega particle cannon with firepower exceeding that of a warship's guns, which draws its power from a built-in thermonuclear reactor. Instead of being carried by a mobile suit into battle(like in the Gryps Conflict), the mega launcher would be connected via a power cable to the Nahel Argama's main cannons power supply, allowing a mobile suit to operate it to as a makeshift turret. Conroy would use the launcher along with his Jegan (ECOAS Type) for long range sniping due to the Jegan's unique Precision Firing Sensor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Special Visor
- Mounted on the head, the special visor lowers and covers the normal visor of the suit when in use. This special visor is equipped with additional sensors, granting the suit better firing accuracy in mid to long range battle. The visor also improves the suit's ability to search and detect enemy units.
- Precision Firing Sensor
- The special visor of Conroy's Jegan(ECOAS Type) has an additional precision firing sensor located in the centre. This additional sensor further improves the suit's firing accuracy.
Two RGM-89De Jegan (ECOAS Type) were first seen accompanying the Unicorn Gundam toward the wreckage of Laplace. The mobile suits were also seen taking action against the Sleeves interception attack on Laplace.
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type (Conroy Haagensen Use)
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type on Gundams Over Germany
- RGM-89De Jegan ECOAS Type (Conroy Custom) on Gundams Over Germany