Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type is a mobile suit that appears in the Mobile Suit Gundam F91 movie.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type, is simply an upgraded version of the old RGM-89 Jegan in terms of power output, speed and maneuverability. Its frame has been modified to incorporate a larger number of rocket thrusters and apogee motors granting it greater speed and maneuverability. The armor has also been increased slightly, making it a few tons heavier than the original model, however this would also increase the Jegan Normal Type's defensive capabilities. The only other modification is an improvement to the nuclear fusion reactor giving it an increase of over 500 kW.
There is no change in armaments from the original Jegan.
- Vulcan Gun Pod
- The vulcan gun pod is an optional close-range defensive armaments mounted on the head that is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The J-Type Jegan is equipped with two beam sabers that are stored in recharge racks on the right hip.
- 3-Slot Hand Grenade Rack
- The Jegan Normal Type mounts a 3-slot hand grenade rack on the waist. These waist mounted grenades can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time. The grenades can also be launched directly from the rack, while grenade launchers used during the One Year War fired unguided grenades, later versions launch self-propelled homing missiles with their own optical guidance systems.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. The J-Type Jegan's shield can be mounted onto either arm and mounts additional weapons in the form of a pair of 4-tube missile launchers.
- Despite the general effectiveness standard shields have proved to be ever since mobile suits were first developed, the models employed by the Federation in the UC 0120s proved unable to withstand the electromagnetically accelerated spear fired from the shot lancer used by the Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits.
- 4-tube Missile Launcher
- The standard shield of the J-Type Jegan mounts two 4-tube missile launchers that fires rocket propelled low-yield explosives designed to destroy mobile suits.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle are can damage any ordinary armor that has not be specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield. When the technology became available it became standard for beam rifles to be powered by a replaceable e-pac that could be replaced mid-battle if they ran out of power.
The Jegan model mobile suit was the longest running design employed by the Earth Federation Forces, remaining in service for 30 years through a series of upgrades. The RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type is one of three subtypes of the Jegan that was still in use by the year 123 UC, being deployed alongside the RGM-89R Jegan A-Type, RGM-89M Jegan B-Type, RGM-109 Heavygun, and F71 G-Cannon. However despite the upgrade the Jegan Normal Type was no match for the newer suits of the Crossbone Vanguard during the conflict at the Frontier Side.