The RGM-89M Jegan B-Type is a mobile suit from the Mobile Suit Gundam F91 movie.
Technology and Combat Characteristics
The RGM-89M Jegan B-Type variant of the Jegan only differed from the RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type in the form of two 5-tube missile launchers mounted on the hips for increased firepower. Because of the placement of the missile launchers the 3-slot hand grenade rack usually mounted on the Jegan's left hip has been removed.
- Vulcan Gun Pod
- The vulcan gun pod is an optional close-range defensive armaments mounted on the head that is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The B-Type Jegan is equipped with two beam sabers that are stored in a recharge rack on the left forearm.
- 5-tube Missile Launcher
- The B-Type Jegan mounts two 5-tube missile launchers on the hips for increased offensive capabilities.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. The B-Type Jegan's shield can be mounted onto either arm and mounts additional weapons in the form of a pair of 4-tube missile launchers.
- Despite the general effectiveness standard shields have proved to be ever since mobile suits were first developed, the models employed by the Federation in the UC 0120s proved unable to withstand the electromagnetically accelerated spear fired from the shot lancer used by the Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits.
- 4-tube Missile Launcher
- The standard shield of the B-Type Jegan mounts two 4-tube missile launchers that fires rocket propelled low-yield explosives designed to destroy mobile suits.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle are can damage any ordinary armor that has not be specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield. When the technology became available it became standard for beam rifles to be powered by a replaceable e-pac that could be replaced mid-battle if they ran out of power.
The RGM-89 Jegan developed in the early UC 0090's remained the Earth Federation Forces's mainstay mobile suit for thirty years, with its design being overhauled over the years in an attempt to keep up with modern technology. This produced several descendant variants of the basic Jegan. One such variant is the RGM-89M Jegan B-Type, a heavy assault version of the RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type. Its likely that the Jegan B-Type was developed as a peacetime replacement for the RGM-89S Stark Jegan that was fielded during the UC 0090's.
Despite being upgraded over the original the Jegan B-Type's basic design was still 30 years old and was no match for the newer more efficient mobile suits fielded by the Crossbone Vanguard during their invasion of the Frontier colonies.