The RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan is a prototype anti-ship assault mobile suit. First appearing in CCA-MSV, it was later redesigned for the photo-novel/OVA Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn The Truth of E.F.F..
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Prototype Stark Jegan is created by making drastic modifications to the original RGM-89 Jegan, and is meant for anti-ship combat. A small number were produced as functional testbeds for the RGM-89D Jegan D Type based RGM-89S Stark Jegan. Like the Stark Jegan, the Prototype Stark Jegan is fitted with additional leg armor and thrusters that can be ejected if needed. Among the differences between the prototype version and the standard model is that the prototype model is not as heavily armored. However, some of its body armor uses Gundarium Alloy making it more resistant to enemies projectiles. Secondly, the missiles used by the two units differ, with the prototype model capable of mounting four large anti-ship missiles. Lastly, the prototype model has a protruding chest due to it being a two-seater, while the standard model reverts back to needing only one pilot.
- 60mm Machine Cannon
- The machine cannons are chest-mounted shell firing weapons that have a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are carried in the grenade rack mounted on the left side of the waist. They can be thrown and set to detonate upon impact with the target, or timed to explode after a preset time. They can also be launched directly from the rack, and function like self-propelled homing missiles via their own optical guidance systems.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Prototype Stark Jegan is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack located in the right hip armor, and this beam saber features a pair of beam emitters which can be adjusted to a high or low-output mode.
- Triple Missile Pod
- A triple missile pod can be mounted on each of Prototype Stark Jegan's shoulder, and ejected after used to increase the suit's speed. Furthermore, each missile pod may be equipped with two large missiles on the side. These large missiles can be anti-ship missiles tipped with nuclear warhead.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle carried by the Prototype Stark Jegan is a rapid fire, short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the suit's camera sensor.
- Beam Rifle (GM III's version)
- Another beam rifle type that the Prototype Stark Jegan could be equipped with. It is first used by RGM-86R GM III, powered by a rechargeable energy cap and has a power rating of 2.8 MW.
- Hyper Bazooka
- The Prototype Stark Jegan can be outfitted with a handheld Hyper Bazooka that fires 380mm rounds. As with its human-sized counterpart, the bazooka fires explosive physical rounds at a high velocity that do significant damage on impact. Although it does not have the same penetrative power as a beam rifle, the bazooka does more extensive damage and is easily capable of destroying a mobile suit in one shot or break through the armor of a battleship.
- Large Anti-Ship Missile
- The Prototype Stark Jegan can be equipped with four large anti-ship missiles in place of the shoulder mounted 3-tube anti-ship missile pods. Each missile appears to be able to destroy a ship.
The RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan was one of the mobile suits supplied to the Londo Bell ship SCVA-76 Nahel Argama as part of the ship's reinforcements, and was then used in the attack on the asteroid Palau. During the Battle of Industrial 7, the Nahel Argama would launch the Prototype Stark Jegan to defend the ship from the Sleeves' mobile suit forces.
Notes and Trivia
- RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan (Original Version) on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan on Gundams Over Germany
|Londo Bell/Earth Federation|
|ν Gundam's variations|
FA-93HWS v Gundam Heavy Weapons System Type | RX-93 ν Gundam Double Fin Funnel Type | RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam
RGC-90 Jegan Heavy Armor Type | RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan
RGZ-91B Re-GZ Custom
|Geara Doga's variations|
AMS-119 Geara Doga Heavy Armed Type | AMS-119S Geara Doga Kai | AMS-120X Geara Doga Psycommu System Test Type
| NZ-333 α Azieru's variations|
NZ-222 Psyco Doga | NZ-444 β Azieru