The RGM-89S Stark Jegan is a mass-production anti-ship assault mobile suit. First appearing in Char's Counterattack Mobile Suit Variations line, it was later redesigned for the photo-novel/OVA Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A special version of the RGM-89D Jegan D Type, the Stark Jegan has improved performance due to the additional armor and thrusters. It also incorporated feedback from its prototype, the RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan, and can mount missile pods on its shoulders for support use. Thus, it also inherited the functional concept of the RGM-86R GM III. When required, some of the added armor and the missile pods can be purged from for better mobility.
- Vulcan Gun Pod
- The vulcan gun pod is an optional close-range defensive armaments mounted on the head that is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. A pair of beam sabers can be stored in the additional armor on each of Stark Jegan's forearm, and they can be switched out for Grenade Launchers.
- Grenade Launcher
- A grenade launcher can be mounted in the additional armor on each forearm in place of beam sabers.
- Triple Missile Pod
- The Stark Jegan can mount a triple missile pod on each shoulder for long range support, and it can be ejected after use to increase the suit's speed. The missiles fired have high accuracy due to the sensors in the missile pods. Due to changes in how the suit is used, the Stark Jegan's 3-tube Missile Pods are not meant to carry optional large missiles like the RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan.
- Dummy Firing Port
- Chest-mounted weapons that fire dummy rounds to distract enemy units.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle carried by the Jegan is a rapid fire, short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Jegan's camera sensor.
- Beam Rifle (GM II and GM III's version)
- Another beam rifle type that the Stark Jegan could be equipped with. It is previously used by GM II and GM III, powered by a rechargeable energy cap and has a power rating of 2.8 MW.
- Hyper Bazooka
- For heavier firepower, the Stark Jegan can be equipped with a hyper bazooka The Stark Jegan's hyper bazooka can fire normal 380mm rounds, or scatter shot rounds that cover a large area.
- The Stark Jegan can be equipped with the Jegan's shield for increased defensive capabilities. This shield possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with two 2-tube small missile launchers
- 2-tube Small Missile Launcher
- Mounted in the shield, the pair of missile launchers fire small missiles that are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
Several years after the introduction of the mass production RGM-89 Jegan, it was upgraded into the RGM-89D Jegan D Type to bring its technology up-to-date. The RGM-89S Stark Jegan is a variant of the Jegan D Type, and is designed as an anti-ship mobile suit and for assault missions.
During the events of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, one of these units (piloted by an unnamed veteran of the Second Neo Zeon conflict) is seen during Londo Bell's attempt to intercept the Garencieres on its way to the Industrial 7 colony but is destroyed in a heated battle with the NZ-666 Kshatriya. A second, piloted by Galom Gorga (call sign Juliet 002), is seen aboard the Nahel Argama instead equipped with two beam rifles that is later destroyed by the MSN-06S Sinanju. A third is seen during the Earth Federation's attack on the asteroid Palau.
- Jegan High Mobility Type
- A minor change version of the Stark Jegan. The front skirt armor and added armor on the arms, shoulders, and mouth are removed for improved mobility. Its side skirt armor carries three hand grenades on the left, and a beam saber on the right instead of spare magazines for the beam rifle. Appear in episode 2 of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn OVA.
Notes and Trivia
- RGM-89S Stark Jegan (Unicorn OVA) on MAHQ
- RGM-89S Stark Jegan (Unicorn Novel) on MAHQ.net
- RGM-89S Stark Jegan on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- RGM-89S Stark Jegan on Gundams Over Germany
|UC 0096 Last Sun Mechanics|
FA-00100S Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai | FA-007GIII Full Armor Gundam Mk-III | MSN-001A1 Delta Plus | MSN-001X Gundam Delta Kai | MSZ-009BX Prototype ZZ Gundam (NITRO) | RGM-86R GM III | RGM-89S Stark Jegan | RIX-00PT GF-Tank | RIX-001 Gundam G-First | RIX-001［GA］ Gundam G-First-DX | RIX-003 Cannongan | RIX-003［GA］ Cannongan-DX | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Neo Zeon | Zeon Remnants|
| Mobile Suit|
AMS-129 Geara Zulu | AMX-009 Dreissen | AMX-014 Döven Wolf | AMX-107 Bawoo | AMX-107R Rebawoo | ATMS-09R Zuom | MS-05B Zaku I (Darmac Barlow Use) | MS-06F Zaku II | RMS-119 EWAC Zack
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Garencieres | Musai-class