Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Jesta is a high performance special operations mobile suit of the Jegan series developed by Anaheim Electronics to escort the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam, as the Unicorn Gundam's operating time in its Destroy Mode is limited. Furthermore, aside from escorting the Unicorn Gundam, the Jesta's intended mission is to dispatch ordinary enemy forces. By eliminating ordinary non-Newtype enemy forces, the Jesta attempts to produce "situations" in which the Unicorn Gundam can directly confront and destroy enemy Newtype weapons.
The Jesta is fitted with a redesigned backpack capable of tremendous thrust for the sake of keeping up with the Unicorn Gundam. Although the Jesta's weapon loadout is similar to the Jegan's, the Jesta features improved and more advanced weapons. Examples of the Jesta's superior armaments include the Jesta's more advanced beam rifle and backpack-mounted movable shield, which like the Jegan's arm-mounted shield, contains four missiles. In addition to having more advanced weaponry over the Jegan, the Jesta also has three spare magazines for the beam rifle mounted on the unit's right forearm, and a beam saber on its left forearm for easier access.
Despite the fact that the Jesta is intended to be an escort unit, its performance surpasses most Federation mobile suits of its time. The Jesta is essentially a product of the UC Project, however this fact has been kept hidden even within the Earth Federation military organization.
- Vulcan Pod System
- Mounted on the head, this system contains a 60mm vulcan gun and is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The vulcan gun is ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are carried in each of the grenade racks mounted on the side of the waist. They can be thrown and set to detonate upon impact with the target, or timed to explode after a preset time. They can also be launched directly from the rack, and function like self-propelled homing missiles via their own optical guidance systems.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Jesta is equipped with a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack located in the mobile suit's left forearm.
- Beam Rifle
- A custom beam rifle with excellent rate of fire, it is longer than the usual beam rifle due to the installation of the acceleration/deflection device. Besides the normal firing mode, it also has a beam machine gun-like rapid fire mode. Accuracy can be improved by holding the rifle in a two-handed manner via the main and fore grip, and expansion parts can be fitted to grant additional capabilities. Like other beam weapons, the beam rifle's shots can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The Jesta's beam rifle uses the same magazine connector as the Jegan and ReZEL's rifles, and three spare magazine are stored on the right forearm. If required, Jesta can still use the standard beam rifle used by the Jegan.
- A basic optional defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. Unlike the Jegan's shield which is arm-mounted, the Jesta's shield is mounted on a moveable arm attached to the backpack. In the OVA, the shields were shown to be positioned over the back while the mobile suit was on a sub-flight unit.
- 2-tube Missile Launcher
- Similar to the Jegan's shield, the Jesta's shield also possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with 2 2-tube missile launchers. These missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
In UC 0096, three Jesta units, piloted by the Londo Bell "Tri-Star" team were deployed on Base Jabbers during the Zeon assault on Torrington Base. The three Jesta units along with other Federation forces pushed back and eventually destroyed the Zeon attackers.
Notes and Trivia