Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Jesta Cannon is a heavy armed variant of the RGM-96X Jesta, its firepower was enhanced via the new beam cannon, new quadruple multi-launcher, more hand grenades and an enhanced beam rifle. It also has improved fire-control systems, and extra armor sections around its body. The extra armor can be purged allowing the Jesta Cannon to adapt to certain situations. Like the original Jesta, the Jesta Cannon possesses higher performance than standard Federation mobile suits.
- Vulcan Pod System
- Mounted on the head, this system contains a 60mm vulcan gun and is based on the technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The vulcan gun is a shell firing weapon with a high-rate of fire but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. It is ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are carried in each of the four grenade racks mounted on the side of the waist and on the side of the legs. They can be thrown and set to detonate upon impact with the target, or timed to explode after a preset time. They can also be launched directly from the rack, and function like self-propelled homing missiles via their own optical guidance systems. If required, one of the waist mounted racks can be replaced by an optional beam saber rack.
- Beam Cannon
- One of the strongest weapon of the Jesta Cannon, the beam cannon is mounted on the backpack, over the right shoulder. It is directly connected to the generator, allowing continuous fire at high-output. It is mainly used for medium-range support and functions in conjunction with a head-mounted high performance sensor unit.
- Quadruple Multi-Launcher
- A four barreled, multipurpose launcher mounted on the backpack, over the left shoulder. It can be loaded with special rounds or flares depending on the combat situation.
- Beam Rifle
- The Jesta Cannon's beam rifle is the Jesta's standard beam rifle with expansion parts. The added parts include an aiming device fixed on the top of the barrel for increased accuracy, and a grenade launcher below the barrel. Besides the normal firing mode, it also has a beam machine gun-like rapid fire mode. The Jesta Cannon's beam rifle uses the same magazine connector as the Jegan and ReZEL's rifles, and three spare magazines are stored in the suit's right forearm.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. Due to the mounting of a shield on the left arm as part of the extra armor, the beam saber is stored on an optional rack that when mounted will replace one of the waist-mounted grenade rack.
- A basic defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The Jesta Cannon is equipped with a shield fixed to the left arm as part of its extra armor, replacing the beam saber rack of the normal Jesta.
- Shield~Standard Jesta shield
- The backpack-mounted movable shield of the standard Jesta can also be mounted on the Jesta Cannon's backpack if required. However, this requires the removal of the beam cannon and the multi-launcher mount.
- 2-tube Missile Launcher
- The standard Jesta shield possesses minor offensive capabilities as it is built with 2 2-tube missile launchers. These missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
There is one confirmed Jesta Cannon in the Ra Cailum's MS team. In the novel, it was later transferred to the Dogosse Gier-class General Revil battleship, and was destroyed in the battle with MSN-06S Sinanju when approaching Industrial 7.
Notes and Trivia
- RGM-96X Jesta Cannon on Gundam-Unicorn.net
- RGM-96X Jesta Cannon on MAHQ.net
- RGM-96X Jesta Cannon on Gundams Over Germany