The RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type (aka Rezel) is a mass-produced commander's variant of the transformable RGZ-95 ReZEL mobile suit. It is featured in the light-novel/OVA Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. One of these units is piloted by Norm Basilicock.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGZ-95 ReZEL is a Londo Bell mobile suit that is another attempt to mass-produce the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, after the deemed failure of the RGZ-91 Re-GZ based on an evaluation of its overall combat performance and production costs. The ReZEL features an new operating system (OS) for ease of operation and control. The operating system features a limiter that comes into operation to lower the performance of the ReZEL so that the mobile suit can be handled without difficulty by rookie pilots; however, more experienced pilots can deactivate the operating system to execute more complex maneuvers with the ReZEL.
The commander variant of the ReZEL, the RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type, is specialized with re-adjusted performance specifications for more experienced pilots and unit commanders. Although the ReZEL Commander Type has better overall performance, there are only minor cosmetic differences between the normal ReZEL and the Commander Type. The most notable of these differences is a set of wing binders mounted on the back of the ReZEL Commander Type inspired by the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki. Unlike the "Box Unit" backpack used in the standard ReZEL, the "Wing Unit" backpack allows for flight within the Earth's atmosphere and atmospheric entry. The Wing Unit backpack is frequently used by skilled pilots. Moreover, the normal ReZEL features distinct red lights on its frame where the Commander Type features green lights instead. The commander variant of the ReZEL is generally equipped with a mega beam launcher, beam rifle, and shield.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of Federation mobile suits. These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- 2-Barrel Grenade Launcher
- The ReZEL mounts a two-barrelled grenade launcher on the unit's right forearm and is used for mid-ranged combat.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The ReZEL is equipped with two beam sabers stored in the recharge racks located in the unit's left forearm.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The ReZEL's beam rifle is powered by a replaceable energy pac, if the energy pac runs out of energy it can be replaced with a fresh one stored under the ReZEL's shield. In addition, the beam rifle wielded by the ReZEL can also emit a beam saber from its tip, allowing it to act as a long beam saber. This allows the rifle to be used as a close combat weapon in the event that the pilot is unable to draw the beam saber in time.
- Mega Beam Launcher
- The mega beam launcher is a beam weapon that possesses greater firepower than the standard beam rifle, and is used when the situation calls for heavier firepower. It is an exclusive optional weapon for the ReZEL and when equipped, it is mounted on the suit's back and has a grip for the suit's hand.
- The ReZEL's shield is a multipurpose weapon. Other than being a defensive armament, it stores spare energy pacs and a beam gun. The shield also doubles as the unit's lower front section in waverider mode.
- Beam Gun
- The ReZEL's beam gun is mounted on the unit's shield and is used for ranged combat.
In the events of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, ReZEL units were seen engaging the NZ-666 Kshatriya in the space colony Industrial 7. One ReZEL Commander type unit was destroyed in the ensuing battle, including other Jegan and ReZEL mobile suits. Another ReZEL Commander type is deployed by the Nahel Argama during Full Frontal's attack on the Nahel Argama, and is later seen engaging the MSN-06S Sinanju but is ultimately destroyed by the Sinanju. Another unit, Romeo-11, was seen defending the Nahel Argama during the final battle of the war. Despite being heavily damaged, it destroyed several enemy mobile suits including a AMX-107 Bawoo.
Notes & Trivia
- The model number '"RGZ"' stands for Refined Gundam Zeta, while the name '"ReZEL"' stands for Re-fined Zeta-gundam Escort Leader.
- RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type on MAHQ.net
- RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type on Gundams Over Germany