Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by Anaheim Electronics after being commissioned by the Earth Federation Forces, the ReZEL is a machine in the RGZ (Refined Gundam Zeta) series that was created with the goal of mass-producing the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam and was successful. The suit’s name is short for "Refined Zeta Gundam Escort Leader." Unlike the RGZ-91 Re-GZ, which used a Back Weapon System, the ReZEL inherits the MSZ-008 ZII’s concept and has a simplified transformation mechanism based on the one used in the MSA-005 Methuss.  The Methuss also inspired the additional sensors on the ReZEL’s shoulders and chest.
To reduce cost and facilitate ease of maintenance, the ReZEL shares some of its actuators and internal electronic components with the widely deployed RGM-89 Jegan. Thus the machine is also viewed as the first transformable mass production MS in the GM-Jegan lineage. The ReZEL was a versatile unit and could adapt to different missions by changing its backpack. Usually equipped with the "Box Unit" backpack, other options include the "Wing Unit" backpack (which is also used by the RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type) and the Defenser units such as the Defenser b-Unit.
The suit’s MA mode is known as ‘Waverider Mode’ to emulate its ancestor, the Zeta Gundam. In this mode, the suit displays excellent performance an aerospace fighter, and can travel rapidly to its operation destination under its own power. Due to all the thrusters facing the same direction in the waverider mode, the suit ended up with surplus thrust, and so the ReZEL was designed from the beginning to be utilized as a sub-flight system for the Jegan. A pair of grips is installed on its backpack for this purpose. This supporting role that ReZEL played in the rapid deployment of other mobile suit was born out of the downsizing of the military after the Second Neo Zeon War, and was also applied to the RAS-96 Anksha to get more value out of these high cost transformable machines. Furthermore, it also helps to reduce the space needed in the warships for storing dedicated subflight systems, and played a role in securing approval of the suit’s development from the military’s top brass.
In order to ensure rookie pilots has no problem controlling the suit, two system features were implemented. One, a thrust limiter was installed to lower the suit’s performance. Two, the suit has a new OS with a control support system, which makes controlling the waverider mode similar to that of the mobile suit mode. In the past, transformable MS has different control methods for their two forms, necessitating special training for their pilots. This no longer necessary with the new OS.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament mounted on most Federation mobile suits. The pair of head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but little power. They are mainly used to restrain enemy units,intercept missiles and the like.
- Grenade Launcher
- A grenade launcher with two rounds can be mounted in each forearm. It is comparable to the ones used by the Re-GZ and has proven effective in close combat. Can be switched out for the beam sabers.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. A pair of beam sabers can be stored in each forearm. Can be switched out for the Grenade Launcher.
- A multipurpose defensive equipment developed specifically for the ReZEL. A beam cannon that fires in a 3-round burst is mounted at the front, and serves as the main weapon in waverider mode. The blade at the back of the shield can be used as a ramming weapon in close combat.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The ReZEL's beam rifle is powered by a replaceable energy pac, if the energy pac runs out of energy it can be replaced with a fresh one stored under the ReZEL's shield. Besides the standard shooting mode, the ReZEL's beam rifle also has a long duration, high output shooting mode that is known among the federation’s pilot as the ‘Guillotine burst’. Lastly, the beam rifle's muzzle can generate a beam blade, allowing the rifle to function as a long beam saber.
- Beam Rifle (Jegan's Version)
- This beam rifle is a rapid fire, short range type.
- Mega Beam Launcher
- An optional high output beam weapon specifically designed for the ReZEL, it inherited the concept of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam's hyper mega launcher. It can be used for longe range support, and is mounted on the backpack when equipped. Besides receiving energy supply from the suit’s generator, the launcher itself also has a sub-generator for supplementary purposes, and this allows for stable number of shots and output.
In the events of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, the Nahel Argama deployed several ReZELs and Jegans to engaged members of the Sleeves that arrived in the space colony Industrial 7. Despite their superior numbers, the ReZELs and Jegans were no match for the Sleeves' NZ-666 Kshatriya and many of them were destroyed. Riddhe Marcenas was one of the ReZEL pilots that participated in the battle.
Three more ReZELs were among the mobile suits deployed by the Nahel Argama when the ship was attacked by Full Frontal and his MSN-06S Sinanju. Two of the three ReZELs were destroyed by the Sinanju until the sudden appearance of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam. It is unknown if any ReZELs were deployed at the Battle of Palau, however the presence of a ReZEL Commander Type during the battle suggests that the ReZELs were likely deployed.
Notes & Trivia
- The model number '"RGZ"' stands for Refined Gundam Zeta.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 High Grade 1/144 RGZ-95 ReZEL Model Kit Manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 - Official Website
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 - Official MS Profile Video
- ↑ High Grade 1/144 MSZ-008 ZII Model Kit Manual
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Master Grade 1/100 RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander Type Model Kit Manual
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Master Grade 1/100 RGZ-95 ReZEL Model Kit Manual
- ↑ References Picture 3
- ↑ Master Grade 1/100 RGZ-95C ReZELType C (Defenser a+b-Unit)(GR) Model Kit Manual
- RGZ-95 ReZEL on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- RGZ-95 ReZEL on MAHQ.net
- RGZ-95 ReZEL on Gundams Over Germany