Technology & Combat Characteristics
The armament of the Refined Barzam was largely the same as the one of the original RMS-154 Barzam. The only fixed armaments were a pair of beam sabers, although their position was changed to mountings on the backpack on the Refined Barzam as opposed to mounting them in the forearms. The Refined Barzam also had its own beam rifle with an attached grenade launcher, and could still be equipped with the head vulcan pods originally designed for the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II as well as any other weapons the Gundam Mk-II could wield.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Barzam is equipped with two beam sabers stored in backpack recharge racks that are taken from the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II's design.
- VCU-505EX-Gry/Ver.009 60mm Double Vulcan Pod
- These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Like most beam weapons of the period, it is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- Grenade Launcher
- A Grenade Launcher was fitted underneath the barrel of the beam rifle. These grenades weren't very effective against large ships, but were ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- Hyper Bazooka
- For heavy firepower, the Refined Barzam could carry a large hyper bazooka, which was clip-fed and capable of carrying seven rounds per clip plus 1 round in its chamber. When not in use, the bazooka could be stored on the rear waist armor.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Although the original RMS-154 Barzam was deemed too conventional, the Earth Federation Space Forces stationed at the Pezun asteroid base had a next-generation Barzam model in their ranks. The RMS-154 Refined Barzam was a far step up from the original Barzam design, and outwardly the unit had much more in common with the Gundam Mk-II than its predecessor.
The Refined Barzam proved to be an excellent mobile suit for its time, but they were still produced only in small quantities. In the final weeks of the Gryps Conflict, in UC 0088, a pro-Titans military offshoot called the New Desides staged a revolt at the Pezun asteroid to depose the AEUG-sympathetic leadership of the base. The Refined Barzams were the Federation Forces's first line of defense at Pezun, but they were all overwhelmed and destroyed by the New Desides's superior RMS-141 Xeku Eins mobile suits and Pezun quickly fell to the New Desides.
Notes and Trivia