Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RMSN-008 Bertigo is a Newtype-use mobile suit developed by the Space Revolutionary Army (SRA) during the 7th Space War, and was intended to be an escort unit for the MAN-003 Patulia during Operation Lilac. It featured high mobility and has a flight form for flying under the influence of Earth's gravity. The Bertigo's 12 bits serve as its primary weapon. These bits are controlled by a Newtype pilot's brainwaves through a Bit Control System. These small beam weapons are all-range weapons, able to assault targets from multiple directions. Other weapons include two internal beam rifles and two beam sabers, all located in the suit's forearms, and two upper torso mounted machine cannons.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat weapon for a lot of mobile suits. It generates a blade-shaped beam to melt and cut through enemy's armor. The Bertigo's two beam sabers are stored in each of the unit's forearms.
- The Bertigo is equipped with 12 bits which are stored in the unit's arms when not in use. These bits fire particle beams that can penetrate through most materials that have not been treated with proper counter-measures, and so have no problem destroying enemy mobile suits. These bits can easily overwhelm most opponents when used en masse, and can function even under Earth's gravity.
- Internal Beam Rifle
- The Bertigo has a beam rifle mounted in the tip of each of the suit's huge forearm armor. The internal beam rifle fires particle beams at a moderate rate, and they can penetrate through most materials that have not been treated with proper counter-measures.
- Machine Cannon
- The Bertigo features two upper torso mounted machine cannons which are rapid-fire weapons. Although these machine cannons do not possess the same level of firepower as the Bertigo's bits or internal beam rifles, they can still be a effective weapon against mobile suits.
Special Equipments and Features
- Bit Control System
- The Bit Control System is a system that allows a Newtype pilot to control bits with the pilot's brainwaves.
- Flight Mode
- The Bertigo features a transformation mechanism that allows the Bertigo to transform into a simple flight form and achieve flight on Earth.
The RMSN-008 Bertigo was a Newtype-use mobile suit developed by the Space Revolutionary Army (SRA) during the 7th Space War. The unit was meant to be used in conjunction with the mobile armor MAN-003 Patulia to carry out Operation Lilac, a SRA operation aimed to end the 7th Space War with one decisive strike. The objective of Operation Lilac was to use the Patulia to destroy the United Nations Earth's (UNE) headquarters. To escort the Patulia on its mission, five Bertigos were produced by the SRA. Operation Lilac ultimately failed as the five Bertigos escorting the Patulia were all damaged or destroyed during atmospheric entry (possibly due interception by UNE forces), while the Patulia crash landed on Earth.It is unknown how many Bertigos were created by the SRA, however it appears that the number of Bertigos produced was low.
Using remaining spare parts stored in Patulia, one notable Bertigo was reconstructed by Fort Severn's defense force in A.W. 0015 and was piloted by the Cyber Newtype Carris Nautilus, who believed that he could usher in an age of peace for the people of Fort Severn with his Newtype powers and the Patulia. Carris' Bertigo is deployed alongside a small number of RMS-007G Juracg Cold Climate Types to attack the forces of the Vulture ship Freeden and kidnap Tiffa Adill, a Newtype, under the orders of Mayor Nomoa Long. Nomoa intended to use Tiffa to pilot the Patulia. During this attack, Carris was confronted by a GX-9900 Gundam X piloted by Garrod Ran. Despite the Gundam X's high performance, Garrod is quickly defeated by Carris due to his inexperience, Carris's Newtype powers, and the devastating firepower of the Bertigo's bits. After Garrod is defeated by Carris, Tiffa voluntarily chooses to go with Carris in exchange that Carris spares Garrod's life.
The Bertigo would be used against the Freeden again during a rescue attempt, this time battling against the new GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider piloted by Jamil Neate. Despite having lost his Newtype powers, Jamil's experience allowed him to shoot down the Bertigo's bits and defeat Carris's Bertigo. After learning that Nomoa's true intentions to use the Patulia as a weapon of destruction to get revenge on the people of Earth for their actions during the 7th Space War, Carris became disillusioned of his path and deployed in the Bertigo to engage the Freeden a third time. Carris again was pitted against the Gundam X Divider, this time piloted by Garrod who had learned from his past experience and from watching Jamil's battle. This second battle between the two young pilots ended in Garrod's victory as he was able to shoot down the Bertigo's bits and damage it.
After this event, Carris's damaged Bertigo was retrieved by the crew of the Freeden, who repaired it. The repaired Bertigo is piloted by Jamil when the mobile suit team of the Freeden battles the activated Patulia. After the battle with Patulia, the Bertigo was left in Fort Severn with Carris. Carris later deploys in his Bertigo to rescue Jamil Neate and the crew of the Freeden from being executed by soldiers of the New United Nations Earth. When Garrod, Tiffa, and Pala were chased by Shagia Frost and Olba Frost during their attempt to flee, Carris deployed in his Bertigo alongside the mobile suit team of the Freeden to assist Garrod. Carris continued to pilot his Bertigo in space during the 8th Space War.
Notes & Trivia