The RX-0[N] Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn (aka Banshee Norn) is an upgraded variant of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee that appears in the OVA version of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. The unit is piloted by Riddhe Marcenas.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Banshee Norn is an upgraded armament version of the Banshee, assigned to Londo Bell pilot Riddhe Marcenas. Rather than that of a Unicorn, the Banshee's motif is that of a lion, illustrated with gold accents on the forehead, a golden collar to signify a lion's mane, and a much more elaborate horn/V-fin. The unit itself remains unchanged from the upgrades, with only the Armed Armors BS and VN replaced by two other new equipment, the Armed Armor DE and Armed Armor XC. The Banshee Norn's primary ranged weapon is the Beam Magnum but with a new attachment, the Revolving Launcher. Its psychoframe emits a golden-orange glow when the NT-D is activated. When in Destroy Mode, the Armed Armor XC opens and rotates up, giving the Banshee Norn a lion-like look.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A basic armament found on many Federation mobile suits. While essentially ineffectual against mobile suit armor, they are useful in intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- Beam Magnum
- A highly customized beam rifle designed with an energy condenser, a single shot from the beam magnum is equal in power to 4 normal beam rifle shots but it uses up an entire E-pac. Each of the beam magnum's magazine is loaded with 5 E-pacs, allowing a total of five shots before a new magazine is needed. The Banshee Norn can carry spare magazines on its rear skirt armor.
- Revolving Launcher
- A new attachment added to Banshee Norn's Beam Magnum in a manner reminiscent of the original Gundam's Super Napalm. Each barrel of the launcher houses a different weapon. A spare launcher can be stored on the rear skirt.
- Beam Jutte
- Stored in the Banshee Norn's Revolving Launcher, it is a short beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber, or used when the Banshee Norn is in a tight situation when it lost its Beam Sabers.
- BOP Missile
- Grenade launcher that fires four armor-piercing grenades that can be set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time. The grenades are moderately powerful self-propelling explosives that can deal significant damage to a mobile suit or battleship, but are particularly effective against machines with heavy defenses against beam weapons.
- Beam Saber
- The Banshee Norn is equipped with four beams sabers, two on the forearms and two in the Armed Armor XC. In Unicorn mode, the MS only has access to the two forearm mounted beam sabers. In Destroy Mode, the Banshee then has access to the two other beam sabers in the Armed Armor XC, allowing it access to all four sabers.
- Beam Tonfa
- The forearm mounted beam sabers can flip over and be used directly, in this form, they are known as beam tonfa.
- Armed Armor DE
- The normal I-field equipped shield used by the Banshee with additional parts containing a propulsion system and a mega cannon. The Armed Armor DE's mega cannon provides the Banshee Norn with another ranged weaponry, while the propulsion system grants the suit speed comparable to a Base Jabber when the Armed Armor DE is mounted on the Armed Armor XC. It can also be used as a makeshift melee weapon with significant reach.
Special Equipment & Features
- Armed Armor XC
- A backpack unit that serves the purpose of improving the affinity between pilot and machine, and allow non-Newtype pilot to activate the NT-D system. It also improves overall generator output. The Banshee Norn's backpack beam sabers are stored in the Armed Armor XC.
Note: Much of the Unicorn Gundam Banshee Norn's history can be found on Riddhe Marcenas's page.
- In Irish and Scottish mythology, the Banshee is a "fairy woman" whose mournful wail heralds an imminent death.
- The "Norn" is an extinct North Germanic language. Norn also refers to any one of a number of female beings in Norse mythology who rule over the fates of gods and men, similar to the Moirai of Greek mythology.
- The Banshee is based on The Lion from The Lady and the Unicorn.
- The Banshee Norn bears a lot of similarities to the protagonist of the video game Final Fantasy VIII, Squall Leonhart. Both have a strong Lion motif, and have a dominant black color scheme. Also, the Norn's Beam Magnum, Revolver Launcher, and Beam Jutte weapon combination has a resemblance to Squall's weapon, the famed Gunblade.
- In episode 23 of Gundam Build Fighters a HG 1/144 model of the Banshee Norn is seen as part of the festival tournament prize.
- Banshee Norn appears as a DLC unit in Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost and a default unit in Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost. Unlike the original version, the Norn is in permanent Destroy Mode.
- The Banshee Norn is the closest Banshee form in the anime to the Banshee seen in the novel, which has the same armament as the Unicorn Gundam.
- RX-0(N) Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn on Gundam-Unicorn.net
- RX-0(N) Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn on MAHQ