The RX-104FF Penelope is a prototype transformable Newtype-use mobile suit. It was featured in the novel Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash. The RX-104FF Penelope without its flight unit is officially referred to as the RX-104 Odysseus Gundam. The unit is piloted by Rein Eim.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by Anaheim Electronics, as the last making of Project Zeta, in cooperation with the Circe special force, the Penelope is a large, fifth-generation MS featuring a compact Minovsky craft flight unit. The Penelope is actually a combination of the RX-104 Odysseus Gundam and the FF (Fixed Flight) armor unit. Despite Penelope's size, it is incredibly fast. The unit's most notable trait is the Minovsky barrier which the Penelope deploys frontally when it transforms into its dragon-like mode. This form is necessary when the Penelope cruises at high speed. This barrier reduces drag from air friction against Penelope's frame, allowing it to cruise at high speed and easily break the sound barrier.
In terms of armaments, the Penelope is armed with a beam rifle, vulcan guns, beam sabers, small mega particle cannons and funnel missiles, an extremely accurate Psycommu-guided micro missile. The Penelope is a unit that greatly excels in aerial combat.
- Beam Rifle
- The Penelope carries a custom beam rifle that, despite having a different design, has about the same power as a standard beam rifle.
- Vulcan Guns
- The Penelope houses four vulcan guns in the overhanging "head" mounted on top of the unit. The neck of this unit is articulated and has a small degree of flexibility to aim at the target.
- Mega Particle Cannons
- Two mega-particle cannons are mounted on the top of each shoulder and can be aimed individually at the target.
- The Penelope has two small shields on its arms. Each houses a beam saber and a mega particle cannon.
- Mega Particle Cannons
- Two additional mega-particle cannons are mounted on the the arm shield units. When combined with the shoulder mounted cannons, the power of the four cannons surpasses that of the High Mega Cannon of the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam.
- Beam Saber
- The Penelope has 2 beam sabers, one in each forearm shield from where the blade is emitted from.
- Funnel Missiles
- These funnels are accurately controlled by the pilot via psycommu. Unlike a standard funnel, they explode upon impact, giving the weapons their name. They are launched from the shoulders and front skirt armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Minovsky Barrier
- With this, the Penelope can jam and disrupt communication, radars and several other system features.
- Minovsky Craft Flight System
- This craft system gives the Penelope its distinct look. It enables the Penelope to fly and/or hover over extended periods of time much like an aircraft. This feature also gives the Penelope immense speed, mobility and versatility.
- A system usually put into place on battleship-sized vessels, the Minovsky Craft is a lift-generating system which allows a vehicle to resist the pull of Earth's gravity when Minovsky particles are released into the air; the positive and negative particles spontaneously align themselves into a three-dimensional cubic lattice. Because of the repulsive and electrostatic forces between the Minovsky particles, this lattice resists compression, and the Minovsky Craft system uses this phenomenon to push the underside of the vessel away from the planet's surface.
- Though the Minovsky Craft system doesn't produce genuine anti-gravity, it does allow a vehicle to float over the Earth's surface. Since the lattice of Minovsky particles it generates beneath the vessel repels plasma and ionized gases, this system also provides some protection from the heat of atmospheric entry. Its design served as the basis for the development of the RX-105 Ξ Gundam.
The Penelope was assigned to Rein Eim of the Circe special force in U.C. 105.
Notes & Trivia
- Penelope's and Odysseus's name is derived from the characters "Penelope" and "Odysseus" in Homer's epic poem, the "Odyssey".
- Penelope appears in Extreme Vs Maxi Boost and Full Boost as a DLC unit. While a bit similar to Xi, it has a similar castoff mechanic for its Fixed Flight unit seen in the Crossbone Full Cloth and is represented by its own durability gauge while reducing damage taken. When depleted, the Penelope reverts to its Odysseus form, though it can gain a permanent version of its Penelope form after some time has passed. Interestingly, the temporary version of the Penelope unit's durability is tied to the unit's max HP and in Full Boost's mission mode, will regenerate when the HP regen skill is in effect.
|Hathaway's Flash Mechanics|
Me-02R Messer | RX-105 Ξ Gundam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
| Mobile Suit|
FD-03 Gustav Karl | RX-104FF Penelope
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|