Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-121 Gundam TR-1 ［Hazel］ is a functional test machine assigned to the Murphy team, based upon the GM Quel. It was equipped with a Gundam head in order to test its psychological effectiveness against Zeon remnants, though it was actually modified from an existing GM-Quel head instead of a true RX-type Gundam head. As it is developed for use in real combat, as well as used as test machine, many of its parts have been replaced with enhancement parts like the new backpack, the movable booster pod attached to it, and the improved thrusters in its legs. As a result, its potential rivals that of an RX type.
Its beam rifle is a prototype version of the energy pack type which the next generation of machines are expected to carry, and this machine has also been used in the development and testing of other devices such as the shield booster. Also, the support actuator units on the Hazel's shoulders can be fitted with either multipurpose launchers, or holding grips to help stabilize its arms while in High Mobility Form. Its skirt armor is usually fitted with energy pack holders which store two energy packs apiece.
The Hazel's most distinctive equipment is the shield booster, which contains propellant tanks and a single thruster with an output of 22,000 kg. This device is a further evolution of the sturm boosters used by earlier mobile suits, but unlike its ancestors the shield booster is retained as a shield after its propellant supply is exhausted, rather than being discarded when empty. The Hazel's Assault Form is equipped with two shield boosters, one on each arm, and its High Mobility Form also carries one on its movable booster pod.
Although the original Hazel's specs are unknown, it spec is probably weaker than Hazel Custom, making its overall specs are probably very similar to those of the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes".
- 60mm Vulcan gun
- A standard armament of the Earth Federation Forces's Mobile Suits is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power. Because of their low caliber, they won't cause much damage to a mobile suit, but they are useful for keeping an enemy mobile suit from getting too close. They are also ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam saber
- The standard close combat armament for Earth Federation mobile suits, it is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and is capable of cutting through any metal alloy. The RX-121 Gundam TR-1 ［Hazel］ stores one in the right side of the backpack.
- XBR-M84a Beam Rifle
- Gundam TR-1 ［Hazel］ can be equipped with a XBR-M84a Beam Rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Unlike most beam weapons of the period, which draws power from a E-Cap; it is powered by a newly-developed replaceable E-Pac. If the beam rifle runs out of energy, the current E-Pac can be replaced by a new one.
Special Equipment & Features
- Dual Shield Booster
- Two Shield Boosters are attached to both arms of the Gundam TR-1 ［Hazel］, which contains propellant tanks and a single thruster with an output of 22,000 kg. This device is a further evolution of the sturm boosters (a device which contains thrusters for increasing propulsion purposes) used by earlier mobile suits, but unlike its ancestors the shield booster is retained as a shield after its propellant supply is exhausted, rather than being discarded when empty.
The Hazel would be used by the Titans Test Team, also known as the "Blue Otter Team," a year after the end of the Delaz Conflict.
Notes and Trivia
- The Hazel's name is derived from the character "Hazel" (fictional rabbit character from Watership Down).