Technology & Combat Characteristics
Near the end of the One Year War, the Earth Federation Forces used the RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type as a base to develop a new Guncannon-type unit, the RX-77-4 Guncannon II. Unlike its base machine, the Guncannon II has a beam cannon on its right shoulder to resolve the balance and recoil issues faced by physical projectile cannons. The use of a beam cannon over two projectile cannons is also meant to help enhances the suit's firepower and ease of production. The beam cannon is operated alongside a multipurpose precision targeting system on the left shoulder for improved firing accuracy. The switch to a beam cannon also saved up space on the back meant for storing physical ammunitions, as well as vents for expelling a physical cannon's exhaustion gas. Thus, a new propulsion system with large thrusters is installed, improving the suit's mobility.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- BAUVA*XBR-L Beam Rifle
- The Guncannon II can be equipped with the same beam rifle as used by the RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type. This beam rifle is larger and has a longer range than the Gundam's, and is powered via an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of fifteen (15) rounds. Each beam is capable of tearing through the armor of most enemy MS and MA. Maximum effective range of 2.8 kilometers.
- Beam Cannon
- A beam cannon mounted on the right shoulder and powered by the suit's generator. Use of this weapon doesn't hamper the suit's ability to handle other beam weaponry.
- "Fire Nut" Grenade
- The Guncannon II is equipped with a set of Fire Nut grenades stored inside a rack on its left waist armor. A compact, powerful bomb which can be hand-thrown by Federation's mobile suits, it sets the enemy alight upon impact.
Special Equipment & Features
- Multipurpose Precision Targeting System
- Mounted on the left shoulder, this system grants the Guncannon II better firing accuracy.
Eight RX-77-4 Guncannon II units were built at the recaptured California Base in North America and several Guncannon IIs participated in the Earth Federation Force's North American offensive.
Notes and Trivia
FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam | RGM-79L GM Light Armor | RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type | RX-77-4 Guncannon II | RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" | TGM-79 GM Trainer
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Corvette Booster | Guncarry | Lightliner
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type | MS-10 Pezun Dowadge | MS-11 Action Zaku | MS-12 Gigan | MS-13 Gasshia | MS-17 Galbaldy α
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|