The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 (aka "G05") is a Gundam type mobile suit from Kunio Okawara's MS Collection (M-MSV) original design series, designed by Kunio Okawara as the 5th Gundam. The design was updated to be used in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters In Space as well as the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5, more commmonly referred to as "G05", was more advanced in many ways than its more famous predecessor. The Federation decided to convert the Gundam units 4 and 5, which were already in development, into space combat versions for use as main forces in the invasion of Solomon, A Baoa Qu, and then Zeon itself. These machines were based on the RX-78-2, and the replacement of the backpack and the addition of thrusters and propellant raised their mobility by roughly 40 percent. Their operating time was also extended, and it was anticipated that they would produce great combat results during lengthy battles, especially in attacks on space fortresses.
The biggest change was the elimination of the core block system. The resulting space was used for cooling systems, thus increasing the generator output and enabling the use of more powerful beam weapons. As a result, the armament was upgraded to include a hyper beam rifle, and one beam gun was installed in each forearm. Plans were also made to equip unit 4 with a mega beam launcher. Thus its generator output was further increased, its cooling systems were enhanced accordingly, and the design of the cooling fins in its chest was changed. The G05 was issued a shell-firing Giant Gatling Gun, while nowhere near as powerful as the G04's mega beam launcher, had the advantages of not requiring extra energy to use, didn't need a charging period before it could be fired and had rapid-fire capabilities.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series. These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The G05 has two beam sabers stored in the backpack
- Hand Beam Gun
- Mounted on the forearms, it has a short effective range and is most suitable for use in close combat.
- Hyper Beam Rifle
- An enhanced version of the beam rifle carried by the RX-78-2, it is powered by an E-Cap and has improved output as well as accuracy.
- BLASH-XHB-L-03/N-STD 380mm Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Giant Gatling Gun
- A large Gatling gun with immense firing rate. Drum-fed and stored on the backpack when not in use. While not near as powerful as a beam rifle, the sheer number of bullets flying through the air shred through almost anything, regardless of how durable it is.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Shields are also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The G05's shield has an unique feature, it is normally in its collapse form and can expand when required.
Special Equipment & Features
- Booster Pack (Bst)
- A special set of external fuel tanks and thrusters to give the unit higher speed and better maneuverability.
- Magnetic Coating
- A special membrane treatment applied to mobile suit joints to improve their response speed. The mobile suits developed by the Earth Federation Forces use special actuators called field motors, whose efficiency is increased by the magnet coating process. The treatment also reduces friction resistance in the mobile suit's joints.
Deployed along with the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04" to the 16th Autonomous Mobile Squadron and assigned to the Pegasus-class warship, the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred, the RX-78-5 Gundam G05 was designed for space combat. As such, the RX-78-5 was able to be outfitted with a booster system that extended its effective range and operating time. Due to its late introduction in the One Year War, the RX-78-5 saw little extended action. It mainly participated in interdiction missions between the Moon and Side 3. The high point of its combat deployment was its defense of Republic of Zeon Prime Minister Darcia Bakarov as he traveled to Granada at the end of the War for the signing of the Peace Treaty. In this fight, it engaged with several of the newest experimental mobile suits and mobile armors under development at the lunar base. It completed its mission and saw the end of the war, though what became of it after the peace accords is unknown.
Notes and Trivia