Technology & Combat Characteristics
Based off the combat data of the RX-78-2 Gundam, the RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam was designed to address the biggest shortcoming in the former's design - a lack of weaponry once the Gundam's primary beam rifle was out of energy. To get around this limitation, the Mudrock was built as a a sustained-combat unit and had higher firepower.
It has a new Beam Rifle backed up by a pair of arm-mounted grenade launchers, and a pair of 300mm cannons inspired by the RX-77-2 Guncannon. To further increase the Mudrock's staying power, it has improved frontal armor, and also retained the Gundam's Beam Sabers and Vulcans. The added payload wound up increasing the suit's weight by roughly one-third. To prevent this from affecting the suit's mobility, the Mudrock had a reactor with higher output, as well as enlarged backpack and leg thrusters.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, attack helicopters, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Mudrock is equipped with two beam sabers, stored in recharge racks beside the 300mm cannons when not in use.
- Beam Rifle
- A revolutionary weapon for its time, the beam rifle is the primary weapon of the Mudrock. Making use of E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, it uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's beam cannons. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle's shots can penetrate even the thickest armor. One weak point of the beam rifle was that it could only fire a certain number of shots before it ran out of energy and needs to be recharged.
- 300mm Cannon
- Much larger than the Guncannon's 240mm cannons, they are mounted on the backpack of the Mudrock, instead of the shoulders.
- 4-barrel Grenade Launcher
- One of the Mudrock Gundam's more unique weapons is a pair of 4-barrel grenade launchers built into the forearms. These grenades are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits, it is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher, it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most often used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Hyper Hammer
- An enhanced version of the Gundam Hammer. Like its predecessor, the Hyper Hammer is a large spiked ball attached to a chain, but it also has several rockets mounted into the ball to allow it to maneuver more effectively in space as well as the ability to change its direction before impact, and to increase the damage it could cause.
The Mudrock was originally supposed to be launched into space and participate in the Operation Star One. However, the attack by the Zeon's Midnight Fenrir Corp special forces on Jaburo on November 30, 0079, caused Lieutenant Agar to pilot the incomplete Gundam Mudrock for the protection of the Pegasus-class ship SCV-73 Blanc Rival. Despite the Gundam's firepower, it was damaged along with the ship. Mudrock was later repaired and deployed in its completed form to assist in the recapture of the California Base. However, Agar once again found himself against the Midnight Fenrir, and in the ensuing battle, the Mudrock Gundam was severely damaged and forced to retire.
Notes & Trivia
- In some video games such as Zeonic Front, the Mudrock Gundam was depicted as being able to hover on Earth, there were also other games that did not depict the Mudrock with this ability. Thus, it is unknown if the Mudrock really could hover.