Technology & Combat Characteristics
Joining Newtypes, research teams from both Earth Federation and Zeon factions combined their knowledge in making mobile suits and created the RX-78/C.A., and in honor of the Earth Federation team's superb RX-78-2 Gundam, the appearance of the unit is an exact duplication of it. However, the inside of the unit uses a lot of Zeon technology and is completely different from the original RX-78-2. During the development of this unit, the fine tuning used the data of Char Aznable and therefore it can be considered a custom unit built just for him. It was also painted red to reflect Char's personal colors. Records showed that this unit has entered combat with the original RX-78-2 Gundam.
- 60mm Gatling Cannons "Vulcan Guns"
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The RX-78/C.A. is equipped with two beam sabers, that when not in use are stored in the backpack.
- Beam Javelin
- The beam javelin is an alternative to the beam saber, it has a higher output than the standard beam saber, and the beam's shape allows for a greater amount of armor penetration ability. The long reach of the weapon gives the RX-78/C.A. a considerable advantage in close quarters combat.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is the primary weapon used by the Gundam. Making use of E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's beam cannons. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle can penetrate even the thickest armor and destroy its target with a single shot. One weak point of the rifle was its energy limits.
- Hyper Bazooka
- Similar to the Zaku's bazooka, the Hyper Bazooka was a heavy weapon used by the Gundam. Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Gundam Hammer
- A rather unusual weapon, the Gundam Hammer was essentially a large spiked ball attached to a chain. It was used to give the Gundam a ranged melee weapon. The Gundam could either throw or swing the Hammer around itself in order to impact and damage its target through the sheer mass of the hammer. Later it was upgraded into the Hyper Hammer and had several rockets mounted into the ball in order to enable it for use in space, and to increase the damage it could cause.
- Hand-carried, forearm-mounted or stored on the Gundam's backpack, the shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits. Has a view port than can be sealed off with an internal blast plate.
Special Equipment & Features
- Similar to the prototype mobile suits produced by the Earth Federation Forces' Operation V, the RX-78/C.A. is equipped with a central block which houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems and main power source. This core block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
In the game Gihren's Greed, in one of the parallel timelines of Universal Century where Zeon won the One Year War, Char Aznable will leave Zeon and start building up a new faction, Neo Zeon (different from the original Axis Neo Zeon in Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam), to seek other ways to finish his revenge against the Zabi family.
Notes & Trivia
- In the PSP game Gundam Battle Royale, the RX-78/C.A. is a more melee-combat oriented unit than the RX-78-2 and also features Char Aznable's trademark "Kick" maneuver as part of its repertoire.
- In SD Gundam G Generation games, Casval Gundam has a "Kick" attack replacing the vulcan guns.