Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Atlas Gundam is a prototype ground combat mobile suit developed by the Earth Federation Forces, it is very versatile and capable of underwater combat. It has a unique spherical joint system known as 'Globe Joints' which is developed based on the Principality of Zeon's amphibious mobile suits, and meant for underwater-use. In addition, its feet is also equipped with water jet thrusters which deliver great underwater mobility.
Another special feature of the Atlas Gundam is the waist mounted "Sub Legs" support equipment. They allow the Atlas Gundam to change into 'Flight Mode' for high-altitude atmospheric combat, or into 'Submarine Mode' for underwater combat. The suit is armed with a heat-resistant blade shield, a prototype railgun, two beam sabers and several assault rifles. Its cockpit block can function as an escape block and is fitted with a panoramic monitor modified from the RB-79 Ball.
- A prototype handheld weapon exclusively for the Atlas Gundam, it utilizes electromagnetic pulse guard and is capable of destroying amphibious mobile suits in a single shot.
- Assault Rifle
- A bullpup style firearm, it is equipped with a grenade launcher underneath its barrel. Stored in the Sub Legs' container section when not in use.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Atlas Gundam is equipped with two Beam Sabers, one stored in each shoulder armor.
- Blade Shield
- A large, heat-resistant shield, it is covered in small, blade like parts. The shield combines with the Sub Legs when the Atlas Gundam transitions into Submarine mode.
Special Equipment & Features
- Sub Leg
- Mounted on the waist via arm units for a wide range of movement, the pair of Sub Legs are versatile support equipment exclusively for use under Earth's gravity. In Flight Mode, the Sub Legs swings down and attach to the Atlas Gundam's feet, and its thrusters help the suit to ascend into the air. In Submarine Mode, the Sub Legs combine with the blade shield to create a platform for the Atlas Gundam to ride on, and the suit can cruise underwater at around 40 knots.