Design & Development
The unit is based on the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex", which is a Newtype-use mobile suit. It is made up of junk parts from various other mobile suits, including Gundam-type units; the head, backpack, chest, waist, and sole thrusters however are brand new. The combination of old and new parts was made possible by Buch Junk Inc.'s technology. How the Alex was obtained, however, and details of Tristan's development as well as its manufacturer remain undisclosed.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Solid shell weapons built into the sides of the head, they are used primarily for close combat. Although incapable of causing fatal damages to a mobile suit, the pair of Vulcan guns are useful for intimidation or restricting enemy's movements.
- 90mm Gatling Gun
- Built into the forearms, the pair of Gatling guns are based on the Alex's, their function remains the same although the appearance is slightly varied.
- Beam Saber
- Stored on the backpack, the pair of beam sabers are similar in shape to those used by the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. It is unknown if they are the same.
- Beam Rifle
- A long-barreled Beam Rifle, an energy source is built into the rifle itself rather than relying on an external E-pac energy supply.
- A shield created exclusively for the Tristan. Used for defense in close combat, and for protection from long-range beam attacks.
The Gundam AN-01 "Tristan" was used secretly by Birnam, a private military belonging to Scharnhorst Buch, the founder of Buch Junk Inc., a debris salvaging company that is part of the conglomerate Buch Concern and a subcontractor of Anaheim Electronics. The Tristan was piloted by Cyber Newtype Quentin Fermo, who was ordered to infiltrate the remains of the asteroid base, Axis, and later battled the Earth Federation Forces team "Mastema".
Notes and Trivia
- The Gundam AN-01 Tristan is named after the eponymous character from the 12th century Anglo-Norman mythological tale Tristan and Iseult.
- The 1/144 HGUC Gundam AN-01 "Tristan" Gunpla is widely panned due to its lackluster articulations, which is a result of reusing the joint parts of the 1/144 HGUC Gundam NT-1 Alex that was released 13 years prior.
|Mobile Suit Gundam Twilight Axis Mechanics|
AMX-011S Zaku III Custom | AMX-104 R-Jarja | MSN-04 Sazabi
AMA-X4 Ahava Azieru
RGM-89 Jegan | RX-78AN-01 Gundam AN-01 "Tristan" | RX-160G Byarlant Isolde