The RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam "Zephyranthes" Full Burnern (Often translated as Gundam "Zephyranthes" Full Vernian) is the upgraded space use version of the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes". Featured in the anime OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, it is piloted by Kou Uraki.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes" was designed to be able to operate in both Earth and Space by using the appropriate Core Fighter and although the space-use unit was ready, the suit was unfortunately wrecked before it could be fitted on. The damaged GP01 was recovered and the engineers of Anaheim Electronics gave it a massive overhaul while repairing it, creating the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam "Zephyranthes" Full Burnern, a mobile suit designed for space combat. The renovation process was completed in two days, with operational testing being carried out at Anaheim Electronics's Livermore factory.
Its armor is more streamlined for better mobility in space, and thrusters are mounted in the chest, shoulders and legs. The air-intakes on the chest are replaced with reverse thrusters, with the covers expanding during use. The shoulder armor now contains shoulder vernier pods, and added thrusters are attached to the back of the legs and the soles. Propellant tanks are built into the shins to further extend the operation time of the GP01-Fb. The backpack is equipped with built-in generators, and also has the most noticeable addition to the GP01: the two Universal Boost Pods. The Universal Boost Pods allow the Full Burnern to have superior acceleration and mobility when compared to other units at that time. As a result, the pilot has to contend with high G-forces due to overwhelming acceleration.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- A.E.Blash·XBR-L-83d/Du.02 Beam Saber
- The beam saber produces high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field filled with superheated plasma that creates a deadly cutting blade. It is an effective weapon for close-quarters combat. This particular model is manufactured by Anaheim Electronics. Functions as beam guns in core fighter form.
- BOWA XBR-M-82-05H Beam Rifle
- A specialized high-power beam rifle designed specifically for the GP01, it features an advanced firing control system integrated into the weapon.
- Mounted on the underside of the Zephyranthes' beam rifle is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber.
- HFW-GMG・MG79-90mm Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 360mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- RX·VSh-023F/S-04712 Shield
- An arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. This shield has an unique feature, it is normally in its collapse form and can expand when required.
- BOWA BG-M-79F-3A Beam Gun
- Borrowed from the RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type, it is a standard hand-carried ranged beam weapon, which is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- Blash XBR-L-83d Experimental Beam Rifle
- A large-scale, long-range prototype beam rifle first tested on November 05, 0083. It is a highly inaccurate weapon, and is only used once in combat due to the unavailability of a standard beam rifle.
- Long-range Beam Rifle
- A weapon originally developed for the RX-78GP00 Gundam "Blossom", it is a beam rifle that enables the pilot to hit distant targets with pinpoint accuracy and devastating power, because the equipment would throw off the Zephyranthes' balance if connected directly, it would instead be mounted to a Booster Bed.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Full Burnern features a core block system which allows the cockpit and main engines to eject in the form of a fighter plane, preserving the pilot's life and vital combat data.
The RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam "Zephyranthes" Full Burnern was first deployed on November 8 of the year UC 0083 after the repairs and upgrades to the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes". Its initial deployment was a test run of its capabilities on the moon's surface, piloted by its pilot Kou Uraki.
Its second deployment was the next day, when the mobile armor Val Walo appeared near the city Von Braun, the pilot demanding to duel the Gundam. The Full Burnern Zephyranthes was deployed though because of his past with the pilot Kelley Layzner, Kou Uraki was hesitant to fight. This hesitancy caused the Zephyranthes to be caught in the Val Walo's plasma leaders. While the Gundam was incapacitated Nina Purpleton was almost killed, removing Kou's hesitancy. Two of the plasma leaders were destroyed by a RGC-83 GM Cannon II piloted by Chuck Keith, and the third was destroyed by the Gundam. Freed of the plasma leaders the Gundam and the Val Walo entered a battle of speed and agility, neither able to damage the other. Finally the Val Walo caught the Gundam by the legs, but Kou disengaged the torso and used a beam saber to critically damage and destroy the Val Walo.
The Full Burnern was destroyed in a heated battle with its brother unit, the RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis".
- RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes" Linkin Park Edition
On November 24, 2010 a promotional model was released to tie in with both Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. and Linkin Park's fourth studio album, "A Thousand Suns" in Japan as part of the 30th anniversary of Gunpla. According to their official Japanese website, the members of the band are big fans of the Gundam franchise and designed the custom color scheme of the model.
Notes and Trivia
- The Master Grade (MG) 1/100 Full Burnern "Zephyranthes"'s (1997) model kit instruction manual lists the GP01's head part serial number as "HU-0078GP01Fb Serial 008329".
- There are no GP01 Zephyranthes and Zephyranthes Full Burnern in Super Robot Wars 64 even though there are Stardust Memories storylines in the game. Thus, Kou Uraki pilots a common RGM-79 GM before using the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium".
- The GP01Fb Zephyranthes Full Burnern is given an extra weapon in Super Robot Wars Advance where its beam sabers double as beam guns. This mostly due to the fact that the unit's beam sabers are the Core Fighter's beam guns. However, this is never seen elsewhere, like most other attacks.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, the back of a GP-01-FB can be seen before being destroyed by Gundam Heads in episode 49.
- In Gundam Vs Gundam, NEXT/Plus and Maxi Boost, the Zephyranthes Full Burnern shares a slot with the original unit. If the user is shot down, they will respawn with the FB unit instead. Full Burnern is simply its own unit in Extreme Vs and Full Boost however, excluding the original version altogether.