Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78GP03S Gundam Dendrobium Stamen is one of two components that make up the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium", with the other being the armed base Orchis. The Stamen serves as the control unit for the Gundam "Dendrobium" and can operate on its own when required. The suit has two beam sabers, a folding shield and a beam rifle as standard armament, and can optionally use folding bazookas. The traditional twin head vulcans were removed, with the freed space used to install more advanced avionics and sensor systems.
The "Stamen" was designed with two cockpit options: a Core Block System (as seen in Gundam Evolve 4), and a spherical cockpit with linear seat and panoramic monitors that gives its pilot a full view of the battlefield that was first used in the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex". In the end, the spherical cockpit was selected as the default as it provided superior fire control capabilities. This is of particularly importance as when the Stamen is docked with the "Orchis", it must be able to efficiently control and use the large amounts of weapons stored in the "Orchis". Another unique feature of the "Stamen" is the tail binders mounted on the sides of the waist for increased maneuverability and to dock with the Orchis. Lastly, a set of foldable manipulator arms used to retrieve weapons from the Orchis' weapon containers were concealed in the forearms of the GP03S.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber produces high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field filled with superheated plasma that creates a deadly cutting blade. It is an effective weapon for close-quarters combat. This particular model is manufactured by Anaheim Electronics, with each saber hilt stored inside the left and right side of the backpack.
- XBR-BOWA M-82A Beam Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon used by the GP03S, it looks identical to the beam rifle used by the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes", but its output has been improved.
- Mounted on the underside of the Dendrobium Stamen's beam rifle, it is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber.
- Folding Bazooka
- Specially designed for Dendrobium Stamen, the Folding Bazooka is usable whether the suit is operating alone or docked with the Orchis. It features a collapsible barrel for storage inside the Orchis' container, and retrievable via Stamen's Folding Arms. Like the Hyper Bazooka used by other Federation's mobile suits, the Folding Bazooka is technically a large projectile launcher which fires large-calibre rocket-propelled rounds to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, the rockets has a slow rate of fire and is most often used to take out slow, heavily armored targets. The Folding bazooka is magazine-fed and capable of carrying 6 rounds per magazine plus 1 round in its chamber.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Used by the GM-type mobile suits in early 0080s, the Hyper Bazooka is an improved version of the original used by RX-78 Gundam and RGM-79 GM series during the One Year War. Like its predecessor, the Hyper Bazooka is technically a large projectile launcher which fires large-calibre rocket-propelled rounds to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, the rockets has a slow rate of fire and is most often used to take out slow, heavily armored targets. The Hyper bazooka is magazine-fed and capable of carrying 7 rounds per magazine plus 1 round in its chamber.
- Folding Shield
- Specially designed for Dendrobium Stamen, the Folding Shield is collapsible along its vertical axis for storage inside the Orchis' container, and retrievable via Stamen's Folding Arms. The Folding Shield is mounted on the Stamen's forearms via a rotatable hinge and has top and bottom handles for better defense positioning. The shield can also store up to 4 e-pacs for the XBR-BOWA M-82A Beam Rifle, prolonging the rifle's operation time.
Special Equipment & Features
- Folding Arm
- Each of Dendrobium Stamen's forearms are incorporated with a large, foldable manipulator arm. These folding arms has 3 times the reach of the normal arms, and are used to retrieve the Stamen's own weapons such as beam rifles, folding bazookas, folding shields etc. from their storage racks inside the Orchis' weapons containers.
- Tail Binder
- Mounted on either sides of the Dendrobium Stamen's waist, the pair of tail binders serve to increase the suit's mobility and maneuverability. Besides having a thruster each, the binders are also used for AMBAC purposes due to their movable nature. Lastly, the tail binders also function as part of the docking system with the Orchis unit.
- Core Block System
- The Stamen can be fitted with a Core Block System like the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes" and the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes". This Core Block is composed of the Core Fighter II-Sp, which contains the cockpit and backpack of the Stamen, and docks with the Stamen in the same manner as the core fighters of the GP01 and GP01Fb. It was not selected to be the default cockpit system as the other competing plan, the spherical cockpit with linear seat and panoramic monitor, was superior in terms of fire control capabilities, which is very important in allowing the Stamen to efficiently control and use the large amounts of weapons stored in the "Orchis".
Note: For Dendrobium Stamen's history, please go to Kou Uraki's page.
Notes and Trivia