Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" is a prototype general purpose mobile suit (assault type) and the fifth of five mobile suits in the Gundam Development Project, appearing in Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters In Space and Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed. The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" would eventually be developed into the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" is a prototype general purpose mobile suit geared towards high-speed assault. Its major feature was three "stürm booster" that could be equipped to the back to increase the unit's top speed, allowing it to reach the frontline quickly and participate in combat. However, the Federation came to the realization that both the RX-78GP04G and the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes" would essentially be filling the same role due to their similar designs. Because of this, the Federation cancelled development of the RX-78GP04G for the sake of saving funds and resources, leaving Anaheim Electronics with a half-completed RX-78GP04G prototype. The incomplete mobile suit was then made into the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber produces high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field filled with superheated plasma that creates a deadly cutting blade. The termination of the I-field along a solid contact surface allows the plasma to eat away at the offending material until the I-field reestablishes itself, allowing the weapon to "cut" through almost any target. Likewise, as the beam saber's I-field enclosure repels plasma, it not only keeps the blade's plasma in but also keeps plasma from another blade out allowing one beam saber to be used to block another. The Gerbera is equipped with two beam sabers that are stored on recharge racks on the backpack when not in use.
- Long Range Rifle
- A modified version of the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s beam rifle, it is an experimental weapon with higher firepower and longer range. It also has an advanced firing control system integrated into the weapon. The particle beam fired from this long range rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Gerbera's camera sensor.
- Mounted on the underside of the Long Range Rifle, it is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers. It allows the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber, or when the Gerbera is in a tight situation when it lost its beam sabers.
- Custom Beam Rifle
- A beam rifle developed specifically for Gerbera's use, it shares some of its component with the Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s beam rifle and is also powered by replaceable e-pacs. Rather then firepower, the custom beam rifle places a priority on rapid-fire capability. It is also designed to be wielded easily in close combat.
- Custom Shield
- Developed specifically for Gerbera's use, this defensive equipment shares many parts with the Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s shield and also mounts two extra e-pacs. Like other shields, the Gerbera's custom shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and has an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Generally, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The custom shield can be mounted on either arm of the Gerbera.
Special Equipment & Features
- Stürm Boosters
- Attached to the Gerbera's back, the three "Stürm Boosters" are devices similar to booster pods and are fitted with high-performance thrusters to improved the suit's speed. The Stürm Boosters also contain propellant tanks, substantially increasing the amount of fuel this MS can carry as well as its travel range. When the fuel is depleted, the boosters can be ejected to decrease mass.
According to the MS encyclopedia, one of the tactics that Zeon used to great success against the Federation in the One Year War was high speed strikes with mobile suits. Federation forces had little time to react before being attacked by mobile suit squadrons. So, it was not surprising that the Federation sought to develop high speed assault mobile suits of its own. It was about at this time that the Delaz Fleet approached the division of Anaheim Electronics created from the Zeonic Company, which was still filled with Zeon loyalists. They were then given the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra, which was a revised design of the cancelled RX-78GP04G. Some say that the branch of the Earth Federation which later developed into Titans cancelled the development in order to provide in secret this mobile suit to the spy Cima Garahau. Although highly possible, no actual record could be traced to support this argument.
Notes & Trivia
- In Gihren's Greed, there's a choice where the developers can abort or finish the development of the GP04G. When finished, the suit possesses high mobility and strength.
- The GP04G makes a brief appearance near the end of Gundam Evolve 4 as it is being observed by Anaheim Electronics employees before being closed off as illegal data.
- The GP04G also makes an appearance as an unlockable unit in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, and is unlocked after the player achieves A-Rank on all White Base and Thoroughbred missions.
- "Gerbera" refers to the genus of the sunflower plant, which is named after German botanist Traugott Gerber.