RX-79BD-1 GM Blue Destiny Unit 1
|Developed from||RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type|
|First Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Last Seen||0079 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Earth Federation Forces|
|Operator||Earth Federation Forces|
|Known Pilots||Yuu Kajima|
|Overall Height||18.5 meters60.696 ft |
|Max Weight||73.0 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||52.8 metric tons|
|Power Output||1150 kW1,542.175 hp|
|Sensor Range||6000 meters19,685.039 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Luna Titanium Alloy on Semi-monocoque Frame|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Unit 1 featured a GM head instead of a standard Gundam head. Though in many ways similar to its RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type, GM Blue Destiny Unit 1 was quite a bit different in other ways, particularly in its armament. Similar to the RX-79[G], the Unit 1 featured its beam sabers in the legs and carried the same spiked shield. However, the single "multi-launcher" on the chest Gundam Ground Type had been upgraded into twin chest missiles and machine guns. Although sporting a smaller generator than the RGM-79 GM, the Unit 1 may have the generator power to use a beam rifle, though it was often equipped with a standard 100mm machinegun.
- Vulcan Guns
- GM Blue Destiny Unit 1 was armed with Vulcan Guns mounted on the head. These vulcan guns are used to intercept incoming missiles and enemy units at close range.
- Twin Chest Missile Launchers
- One of two upgraded weapons of GM Blue Destiny. They were mounted on the sides of the abdomen.
- NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- Because beam rifles are difficult and expensive to produce, the Earth Federation made expansive use of the cheaper and easier to build solid projectile firing weapons similar to what the Zeon's Zaku used. One such weapon was the shell firing 100mm machine gun, which had the power to pierce the steel armor of a Zeon mobile suit. However, unlike beam rifles which tend to do massive amounts of damage, the machine gun is more "hit or miss" on the damage it causes depending on which sections of a mobile suit it hits. The machine gun is clip fed and two spare clips are stored on the GM Blue Destiny's hip armor.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- Blue Destiny's close combat weapon, they are stored in the legs.
- P.B.R-0079/A12 S-000011 Beam Rifle
- A specialized high-power beam rifle for GM Blue Destiny Unit 1. The unit used its generator power in order to use a beam rifle, though Blue Destiny was primarily armed with its 100mm Machine Gun
- Twin Chest Machine Guns
- One of two upgraded weapons of GM Blue Destiny. This weapon was mounted on each side of its cockpit. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- RGM·S-Sh-WF/S-00116·Ap-A Shield
- The GM Blue Destiny's defensive armaments. Its shield are notably smaller though thicker and same as RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type, which allows greater arm movement. Two notable features is the grip bar at the top of the shield and a pair of thick prong-like protrusions that can be used as a smashing weapon against enemy mobile suits.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red.
While Zeon recognized the effectiveness of Newtypes in battle, they also realized that natural Newtypes were very rare. Zeon thus experimented with increasing the number of Newtype-class pilots in two ways:
- Development of artificial Newtypes, which did not produce results until too late in the One Year War.
- Development of control systems that would allow regular pilots to operate at Newtype skill levels.
Zeon researcher Professor Chlust Morses, as part of the latter program, developed the EXAM System and then defected to the Federation, bringing the EXAM technology with him. The Federation immediately began their own EXAM program, code named Blue Destiny, to take advantage of this technology. RX-79BD-1 GM Blue Destiny Unit 1, RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2, and RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 were built from RX-79[G] units, though the RX-79BD-1 used a GM head, rather than a standard Gundam head.
The stress that EXAM exerts on the pilot, however, limited any widespread adoption. EXAM lead researcher Alf Chamara went through several test pilots until he found the perfect candidate in Federation test pilot Yuu Kajima. Kajima spearheaded the California Base assault in the RX-79BD-1, where he confronted the Zeon MS-08TX(EXAM) Efreet Custom, another EXAM mobile suit piloted by Zeon ace Major Nimbus Schterzen in combat, resulting in the destruction of both the RX-79BD-1 and the MS-08TX(EXAM). Development of the EXAM System continued with the Gundam Blue Destiny Units 2 and 3.