The RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 is a variant of the RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type. It first appeared in the game Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny. It belonged to the Earth Federation Forces before the unit was stolen by the Principality of Zeon and piloted by Nimbus Schterzen.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Though in many ways similar to its RX-79(G) Gundam Ground Type, Blue Destiny Unit 2 was quite a bit different in other ways, particularly in its armament. Besides the replacement of the GM style head with the Gundam head, both Units 2 and 3 were different in design features than Unit 1. Unlike its predecessors the Blue Destiny Unit 1 and the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, which were both designed for ground combat, Blue Destiny Unit 2 was primarily designed for space combat, though it could be used on Earth. Though it retained the chest vulcans and missile launchers from Unit 1, Unit 2 replaced the ground use 100mm machine gun with the beam rifle used by the Gundam Ground Type. The ground type shield used by the Unit 1 was replaced by RGM-79G GM Command's shield. After Nimbus stole the Unit 2, he had its shoulder armor repainted red, although any other possible customizations he made to the unit are unknown.
- Head Vulcan Gun
- The Blue Destiny Unit 2 was armed with Vulcan Guns, which were mounted on its head. These vulcan guns are used to intercept incoming missiles and enemy units at close range.
- Chest Wired-Control Missile
- One of two upgraded weapons of Blue Destiny Unit 2. They were mounted on the sides of the abdomen and can function under Minovsky particle interference.
- 60mm Chest Vulcan Gun
- One of two upgraded weapons of Blue Destiny Unit 2. This weapon was mounted on each side of its cockpit. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The RX-79BD-2 carries two beam sabers, that when not in use are stored in each lower leg in an internal recharging rack.
- NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Accuracy is limited due to the aiming from regular iron sights and not a targeting sensor. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers. The Type 37 cannot be used in space.
- P.B.R-0079/A12 S-000011 Beam Rifle
- A beam rifle that is unique in that it has an underbarrel rocket launcher with a loaded box magazine that can carry up to 3 rockets. The beam rifle itself is powered by an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of 15 rounds. Bore diameter of 150 millimeters. Mega particle range is limited in Earth's atmosphere. Maximum effective range of 2.0 kilometers. 60 RPM. Features include a forward swivel hand grip and 180 degree swivel narrow sensor.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red.
When the RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 and RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 were completed, Zeon special forces attack, allowing Nimbus to hijack Unit 2 and kill Moses, ensuring that he won't be able to make EXAM anymore. Nimbus escapes to space, with Yuu and his friends in hot pursuit using Blue Destiny 3. The group chases Nimbus to Side 5, where EXAM was first made, and a final showdown begins. Nimbus declares that he's the only one worthy of using EXAM and attempts to kill Yuu. Once more, the two strike each other down in unison, but this time Nimbus is killed, while Yuu drifts in space, where he is later picked up by his team.
Notes & Trivia
- The Blue Destiny Unit 2 is chronologically the very first Gundam-type mobile suit to fall under the service of Zeon.