The RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 is a variant of the RX-79［G］ Gundam Ground Type. It first appeared in the game Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny. It belonged to the Earth Federation Forces before it was stolen by the Principality of Zeon and piloted by Nimbus Schterzen.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Blue Destiny Unit 2 is the second mobile suit developed by Professor Chlust Moses after he defected to the Earth Federation Forces. Like the RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1, Unit 2 is used for testing the EXAM System and has the system mounted in its head, but the Unit 2's system has no set limit, making it more likely to go berserk. Unlike Unit 1, Unit 2's head is based on the Gundam Ground Type like the rest of its body.
While the Gundam Ground Type is configured only for ground battles, the Unit 2 is designed for use in both earth and space. This is achieved by changing its backpack, and grants the suit high operational capacity and mobility in both environment. In terms of armaments, Unit 2 retained the chest vulcans and wired missiles from Unit 1, but uses the beam rifle of the Gundam Ground Type as its main ranged weapon instead of the 100mm machine gun. It also utilises a new shield from the RGM-79G GM Command. After Nimbus stole the Unit 2, he had its shoulder armor repainted red, although any other possible customizations he made to the unit are unknown.
- Head Vulcan Gun
- The pair of head-mounted vulcan guns are used to intercept incoming missiles and enemy units at close range.
- Chest Wired-Control Missile
- Mounted on the sides of the abdomen, the pair of wired-control missiles can function under Minovsky particle interference.
- 60mm Chest Vulcan Gun
- Mounted on each side of its cockpit, the pair of shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. This weapon is ideal for shooting down missiles, and lightly armored vehicles.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Blue Destiny Unit 2 has two beam sabers stored in its lower legs.
- NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers. The Type 37 cannot be used in space.
- P.B.R-0079/A12 S-000011 Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is powered by an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of 15 rounds. Bore diameter of 150 millimeters. Mega particle range is limited in Earth's atmosphere. Maximum effective range of 2.0 kilometers. 60 RPM. Features include a forward swivel hand grip and 180 degree swivel narrow sensor.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- The shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. This shield is the same shield as used by the RGM-79G GM Command and RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type. Equipped on Blue Destiny Unit 2 when it was stolen by Zeon's Maj. Nimbus Schterzen.
- A modified version of the shield used by the prototype series, it has upgraded edges. Equipped on Blue Destiny Unit 2 when it was under E.F.F.'s possession.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red. Blue Destiny Unit 2's EXAM System does not have a set limit, this grants it higher performance but also makes it more easy to go berserk.
When the RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 and RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 were completed, Zeon special forces attack, allowing Nimbus to hijack Unit 2 and kill Moses, ensuring that he won't be able to make EXAM anymore. Nimbus escapes to space, with Yuu and his friends in hot pursuit using Blue Destiny 3. The group chases Nimbus to Side 5, where EXAM was first made, and a final showdown begins. Nimbus declares that he's the only one worthy of using EXAM and attempts to kill Yuu. Once more, the two strike each other down in unison, but this time Nimbus is killed, while Yuu drifts in space, where he is later picked up by his team.
Notes and Trivia
- The Blue Destiny Unit 2 is chronologically the very first Gundam-type mobile suit to fall under the service of Zeon.
|Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories Series Original Mechanics|
RGM-79BD-0 Blue Destiny Unit 0 | RGM-79DO GM Dominance | RGM-79DO［AQ］ GM Dominance (Underwater Equipment) | RGM-79FD Armored GM | RX-78XX Gundam Pixy | RX-79［G］ SW Slave Wraith | RX-79［G］WR Full Armor Slave Wraith | RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1 | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | RX-80PR-2 Pale Rider Cavalry | RX-80PR-3 Pale Rider Dullahan
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
SCV-73 Blanc Rival | SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type | MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type | MS-08TX Efreet | MS-08TX(EXAM) Efreet Custom | MS-09F Dom Funf | MS-14G Gelgoog Ground Type | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | YMS-06Z Psycommu Early Test Type Zaku
| Mobile Armour|
| Mobile Suit|