Technology & Combat Characteristics
Originally a spare mobile suit to supply parts for Blue Destiny Unit 1 and Unit 2, Blue Destiny Unit 3 was put into action following the loss of Unit 1 during the fight with MS-08TX［EXAM］Efreet Custom. Unit 3 is almost identical to Unit 2 except for the color scheme, and a limit is once again set into the EXAM System. There was a plan to paint Unit 3 in a blue color scheme like Unit 1 and 2, but this was not carried out. Like Unit 2, Unit 3 can operate on earth or in space by changing backpack. It is armed with chest missiles, vulcan guns, beam sabers, a beam rifle primarily used by the RX-79［G］ Gundam Ground Type, and a new shield.
- Head Vulcan Gun
- Mounted on the head, the pair of Vulcan Guns are used to intercept incoming missiles, enemy units, etc.
- Chest Wired-Control Missile
- Two such missiles are mounted on the sides of the abdomen and can function under Minovsky particle interference.
- 60mm Chest Vulcan Gun
- One mounted on each side of the suit's cockpit. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated, and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. Blue Destiny Unit 3 carries two beam sabers stored in the sides of the lower legs.
- NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip.
- P.B.R-0079/A12 S-000011 Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle itself is powered by an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of 15 rounds. Bore diameter of 150 millimeters. Mega particle range is limited in Earth's atmosphere. Maximum effective range of 2.0 kilometers. 60 RPM. Features include a forward swivel hand grip and 180 degree swivel narrow sensor.
- The shield is a simple defense used to block various attacks from enemies. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. The shield used by Blue Destiny Unit 3 is a modified version of the shield used by the prototype RX-78 series, and has upgraded edges.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- An alternate shield used by the Blue Destiny Unit 3, it is the same shield as used by the RGM-79G GM Command and RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- The Blue Destiny Unit 3 can also be equipped with the same shield as used by the Gundam Ground Type.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red. Like Unit 1's EXAM System, Unit 3's has a limiter, restricting it to roughly half its capabilities.
When the RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 and RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 were completed, Zeon special forces attack, allowing Nimbus Schterzen to hijack Unit 2 and kill Moses, ensuring that he won't be able to make EXAM anymore. Nimbus escapes to space, with Yuu and his friends in hot pursuit using Blue Destiny 3. The group chases Nimbus to Side 5, where EXAM was first made, and a final showdown begins. Nimbus declares that he's the only one worthy of using EXAM and attempts to kill Yuu. Once more, the two strike each other down in unison, but this time Nimbus is killed, while Yuu drifts in space, where he is later picked up by his team.
Notes and Trivia
|Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories Series Original Mechanics|
RGM-79BD-0 Blue Destiny Unit 0 | RGM-79DO GM Dominance | RGM-79DO［AQ］ GM Dominance (Underwater Equipment) | RGM-79FD Armored GM | RX-78XX Gundam Pixy | RX-79［G］ SW Slave Wraith | RX-79［G］WR Full Armor Slave Wraith | RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1 | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | RX-80PR-2 Pale Rider Cavalry | RX-80PR-3 Pale Rider Dullahan
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
SCV-73 Blanc Rival | SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type | MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type | MS-08TX Efreet | MS-08TX(EXAM) Efreet Custom | MS-09F Dom Funf | MS-14G Gelgoog Ground Type | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | YMS-06Z Psycommu Early Test Type Zaku
| Mobile Armour|
| Mobile Suit|