Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-94 was one of Anaheim Electronics's mass production mobile suit projects, built with the prime concept of adopting and adapting Amuro Ray's RX-93 ν Gundam's design into a suitable sucessor to EFF's Jegan, in accordance to their commissioning.
The result of that project was a formidable MS that far outclasses most of the Federation's mass-production suits at the time in overall performance, successfully drawing the best of its source material's frame design and firepower with little changes. The frame and weaponry were mostly unaltered, save for fewer cuts and replacements for the sake of mass-production, as well as the inclusions of new features, such as the forearm slots for the custom shields and Beam Spray Guns.
But the Mass Production Type ν Gundam's main feature is its adaptability to both Newtype and Oldtype pilots through the choice between two Psycommu systems: A regular Psycommu system that replaces the v Gundam's Psycoframe, allowing the use of its trademark Fin Funnels; or a Quasi-Psycommu system along with 2 sets of INCOM units. Both options come to give its pilot an even ground with the Neo Zeon's Newtype-based suits.
- 60mm Vulcan Guns
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- Stored in the rear skirt's mount, the Mass Production Type v Gundam has a single standard issue beam saber for close-range combat.
- Beam Spray Gun
- The beam spray gun is a downgraded beam rifle with a smaller focusing coil which results in a less powerful, and a more scattered shot. As a result of this the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect.
- Slots on both forearms allow the Mass Production Type v Gundam to equip it on each arm, or swap it with its shield. Such connection allows it to be recharged by the suit's reactor.
- INCOM Unit
- A remote weapon designed for use with the quasi-psycommu system. These disc-shaped devices are armed with internal beam guns and controlled via wire cables. Every time an INCOM changes its flight direction, it deploys a tiny relay INCOM to hold the wire in place and maintain its connection to its parent mobile suit. When the pilot recalls the INCOM, it retraces its course as the wire is retracted.
- The Mass Production Type v Gundam optionally features a backpack with 2 INCOM Units instead of
- the Fin Funnels that the original v Gundam had, in theory allowing Oldtype pilots to be at an even ground with the Neo Zeon Newtype forces.
- Fin Funnels
- A form of remote weapon unique to the ν Gundam. Despite their name, the fin funnels equipped on ν Gundam are in function "bits", since they have built-in generators rather than the E-caps used by funnels. While this made them much more expensive to construct, and allowed less modules to be equipping than the standard, this had the enormous benefit of giving the fin funnels a tremendously long operational time. Circling the battlefield on their own, the fin funnels could be utilized in far more creative and strategic ways than standard funnels.
- The actual beam fired by the fin funnels was also more powerful, given that they are emitted by a generator instead of an E-cap, allowing for better performance compared to Zeon's funnels. The fin funnels also had the ability to generate a unique beam shield, known as a "fin funnel barrier", to provide a defense against both beam weaponry and solid projectiles with lower outputs compared to the beam shield's power consumption. Although these unique funnels proved incredibly effective and flexible in purpose, they were also much larger than the standard funnel, making them easier targets to shoot down.
- The Mass Production Type v Gundam is capable of installing one or two sets, discarding a beam cannon for each installment. Each set may contain 4 or 6 Fin Funnels, and much like its predecessor it is incapable of recharging them, limiting the set to a single launch and use in combat. However, the lack of the Psycoframe downgrades their control and movement.
- Beam Rifle
- A high-powered beam rifle with a normal output of 3.8MW. It can be recharged by e-caps and has an greater firing rate than most beam rifles. An underbarrel grenade launcher may be equipped.
- Grenade Launcher
- The beam rifle can be fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. The grenade wasn't very effective against large ships, but was an ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapon.
- New Hyper Bazooka
- The RX-94 is armed with a 280mm five round magazine hyper bazooka that has improved firing range and destructive power compared to the Hyper Bazooka used by other Earth Federation MS. It is capable of destroying an enemy unit in a single shot and is mostly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Beam Cannon
- Stored and recharged in the backpack of the mobile suit, the Beam Cannons derive from the ZZ Gundam's Hyper Beam Sabers and inherit their capabilities as both a beam saber and a beam gun. The Mass Produced Type ν Gundam can store up to two of these, being restricted only by the installment of the Fin Funnel sets.
- Inherited from the original ν Gundam's shield design, it features the same built-in 7.8 MW beam cannon and several missiles.
Special Equipment & Features
- Quasi-Psycommu System
- The Quasi-psycommu system was developed to extend the capabilities of remote control to non-Newtypes. This system can actively scan the pilot's brainwaves, no matter how weak they are, and then let the computer translate the thoughts into commands to be issued to remote weapons. Using the quasi-psycommu even non-Newtypes can control simple wire-guided remote weapons, such as INCOMs. INCOMs, unlike funnels or bits, still have to be tethered to their control unit by wires because the electrical signals to the INCOM would otherwise be disrupted by Minovsky Particles.
- Psycommu System
The Mass Production Type ν Gundam's project is implied to have started some time in between the three months of development of the original v Gundam, as a commissioned candidate to replace the RGM-89 Jegan in response to its poor performance against the newest Neo Zeon suits, highlighted by the then recent failure in stopping Fifth Luna's drop to Earth. Plans also included a first batch of units to be delivered to Londo Bell and used by their Ace Pilots in the upcoming conflicts.
While the project succeeded in bringing a unit capable of outperforming the Jegan and standing against the Neo Zeon's MS front, it was ultimately disapproved on the grounds of its high cost and time constraint, causing the production and spread of a very limited quantity across EFF before its cancellation.
A Mass Production Type ν Gundam would only appear during the events of the manga Mobile Suit Gundam REON. In the manga Mobile Suit Gundam U.C. 0096: Last Sun, data accumulated from the Mass Production Type ν Gundam is mentioned to have been used in the development of the RIX-001 Gundam G-First.
Notes & Trivia
- The RX-94 has appeared in some of the Super Robot Wars series of video games, most notably in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, where the RX-94 was used by one of the protagonist characters, Cobray Gordon, for the game's early stages.