Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Technology and Combat Characteristics
The Nelson is armed with the same conventional weaponry as its predessor: six main cannon turrets, four two-barrel machine gun turrets for anti-fighter and anti-mobile suit defense, and eight internal missile launchers.
The basic concept of attaching cargo bays to the sides of the hull was similar to the previously completed and deployed Trafalgar-class. The Nelson, however, was developed in order to produce a vessel capable of the most effective MS operation in a short time. Another difference from the Trafalgar-class is that the Nelson did not lose nearly as much of its weaponry or mobility. This is due to the repositioning of mega particle cannons which left the Nelson with most of its original weapons, with the exception of two machine gun turrets and the external missile launcher.
- Single Barrel Beam Turrets
- While not as powerful as the turrets of the Magellan-class, these beam turrets were effective anti-ship weapons. Unfortunately, they were not at all useful against the Principality of Zeon's mobile suits.
- 2-Barrel Machine Gun Turrets
- These weapons formed the Salamis Class's anti-air/MS weaponry. It has two gun turrets protecting the bridge and command staff which could rotate 180 degrees from pointing directly ahead to directly aft. Two more turrets were mounted in large balls on a strut across the front of the cruiser, just aft of the forward beam turret.
- Internal Missile Launchers
- These missiles were used for both anti-ship and anti-fortress purposes. During the opening battles of the War, these tubes were loaded with nuclear warheads.
Three Nelson-class ships were constructed and completed by the end of the One Year War.
Notes & Trivia
- The Nelson is named after legendary British Admiral Horatio Nelson famous for destroying Napoleon's sea support at the Battle Of The Nile and defeating the French again at Trafalgar.