SVMS-01SG Union Flag Ground Package Shell Type
|Developed from||SVMS-01 Union Flag|
|First Seen||2308 A.D.|
|Manufacturer||Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
|Operator||Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
|Known Pilots||Deborah Galiena|
|Head Height||18.5 meters60.696 ft |
|Max Weight||86.0 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Expression error: Unrecognised word "span".|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in torso|
SVMS-01SG Union Flag Ground Package Shell Type (aka Shell Flag), is a ground use variant of the standard Union Flag. It appears in Gundam 00 Season 1 and Mobile Suit Gundam 00V and Mobile Suit Gundam 00F.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A variation of SVMS-01 Union Flag, introduced in AD 2308, with its flight pack removed for a full armor system named Ground Package Type 1. This system is unique in the sense that by absorbing and evaporating heat, the armor reduces damage to the main unit. The outer surface is covered by a layer of nanomachines, which are able to change the color of the armor. These nanomachines are programmed with various color and camouflage patterns. The legs, for better land combat capacity, the knee and heel motors have been replaced with more powerful models. Although the Shell flag loses its ability to fly without the flight unit, the machine is still capable of hovering above the ground for several seconds. The units used for ground combat tend to have this role assigned to them permanently.
It is hinted that the Shell Flag may have been originally developed for combat in tropical climates, based on the description of its 120mm linear machine gun.
To intimidate enemies, all Flags possess an AI system that controls the visor to make an eye pattern.
- 120mm Linear Machinegun
- A gun adapted for operation in the tropical climate of Asia. Carries a grenade launcher with four grenades in the bottom part.
- 200mm Linear Cannon
- A weapon unique to the shell flag. Mounted under the right arm, the parts below the rocket launchers are magazines for the cannon.
- Rocket Launcher
- Replaces the flight unit of the original Flag. Each carries 4 rockets per launcher.
- Large Defense Rod
- A standard defensive feature of AEU and Union mobile suits. The defense rod is a rotating rod usually connected to the elbow joint of the mobile suits left arm. Using rotary motion, the rod is capable of deflecting certain physical rounds such as bullets from a machine gun and in some cases a shot from a beam rifle. The defense rod is also capable of generating a small plasma field around it to more effectively block attacks. The defense rod featured on the Shell Flag is larger than the standard issue defense rod. It is made in Japan by Itsubishi Inc.
- Sonic Blade
- The standard melee weapon of both the AEU's and Union's mobile suits. A sonic blade is a folding dagger-like weapon that incorporates a high-frequency oscillating blade. The vibrations of the oscillating blade greatly increase the weapon's cutting capabilities. It can focus plasma in a sword shape to form a plasma sword.
With the limited production of the Flag in AD 2308, the use of the machine was limited to commanding officers and elite pilots only. The sole example of the Shell Flag was discovered in an American Okinawa base. Robert Spacey, the author of the technical data files found in 00V, had the opportunity to see the Shell Flag in action against Gundam Exia. Ms Deborah Galiena, a member of the same UN inspection team that Robert was on, had just boarded the machine and was inspecting the features when GN-001 Gundam Exia attacked. The Shell Flag was able to withstand a strike from the Exia's GN sword. Ultimately, the Shell Flag lost a piece of its armor during the fight, but Ms. Deborah survived uninjured despite the encounter with the Gundam.
In AD 2308, other Shell Flags were seen used in operations against the Gundams of Celestial Being.
In the year AD 2309, a pilot named Laurel piloted a Shell Flag as a member of an anti-UN group. The mission of this group was to capture an under-defended UN military base located in Africa and use its missiles to destroy UN targets around Africa. However, the group based their mission on false information. The base was a UN trap guarded by four Flags, four AEU-09 AEU Enacts, a squad of MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Types, and three GNX-607T GN-XII mobile suits. Laurel piloted his Shell Flag against one of the GN-XIIs and was skilled enough to use its defense rod to protect himself against the beam attacks. However, the Shell Flag would have been destroyed if not for the intervention of Fon Spaak, who was fighting with the group at the time.