Technology & Combat Characteristics
As the Earth Federation Forces began its mobile suit forces buildup during the last months of the One Year War, it also launched an intensive training program, retraining fighter pilots into mobile suit pilots. To fulfill this task, a two-seat trainer variant of the standard RGM-79 GM was produced. The trainee pilot would sit in the standard cockpit while the instructor pilot sat in another seat above his, equipped with a small window for observation purposes. The TGM-79 GM Trainer (the T standing for Training) mimicked the standard GM in almost every respect, although it was built with weaker armor to reduce costs. Since its cheap armor made it unsuitable for combat, the GM Trainer was also relegated to engineering and construction duties.
- Beam Saber
- The GM Trainer is equipped with a beam saber stored on the left side of the backpack. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It is capable of cutting through any metal not treated with anti-beam coating.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- The Beam Spray Gun was essentially the Gundam's beam rifle in a smaller weaker form, and fires a less powerful, but more scattered shot. As a result of this, the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. While the beam spray gun is less powerful than the beam rifle, it has been shown to be able to penetrate the armor of a Rick Dom - one of the most heavily armored mobile suits of the One Year War.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld sub-machine gun. It does not require energy to be used, however it is ineffective against heavy armor. When the magazine is empty, it can be discarded and replaced with a new one.
- NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers. The Type 37 cannot be used in space.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields are treated with an anti-beam coating it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Unlike the Principality of Zeon, which had been preparing for Mobile Suit warfare for years even before the One Year War, the Federation was basically building up MS forces from scratch. Despite the existence of experimental units (e.g. the 07th and 08th MS teams) and the priceless data taken from the Gundam's learning computer, the Federation still needed to train many more pilots to take full advantage of the GM. The TGM-79 GM Trainer was one answer to this problem. By coupling an instructor with a potential pilot, the Federation hoped to dramatically speed up the training of pilots. Not all fighter pilots, for example, were suitable to be retrained as MS pilots, and it was hoped that the presence of an instructor would help quickly weed out the unsuitable.
Notes and Trivia
FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam | RGM-79L GM Light Armor | RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type | RX-77-4 Guncannon II | RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" | TGM-79 GM Trainer
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Corvette Booster | Guncarry | Lightliner
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type | MS-10 Pezun Dowadge | MS-11 Action Zaku | MS-12 Gigan | MS-13 Gasshia | MS-17 Galbaldy α
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|