Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by ZAFT as the successor of the mass-produced TMF/A-802 BuCUE, the LaGOWE inherits the four-legged, caterpillar-tread equipped design of the former, granting it easy and nimble movements on difficult terrains as well as high speed when travelling on terrains such a sandy deserts or snowy fields. Although the LaGOWE is larger than the BuCUE, it is also more maneuverable thanks to the redesigned legs and additional thrusters on the wings and back. The enlargement of the antennas on the sides of the head enhanced the suit's sensor system, and the cockpit has been changed to a two-seater to accommodate a pilot and a gunner. Weapon wise, the LaGOWE has a a twin beam saber in its mouth (which is of a slightly different design from the BuCUE's), newly introduced claws on its feet, and a pair of powerful beam cannons on its back turret instead of the railguns or missile launcher. This high performance machine is mainly assigned to commanders.
- Twin beam saber
- Developed after studying the G Project mobile suits, it is mounted in the mouth, and is primarily used for hit and run attacks, in which the suit hits an enemy unit as it charges forward.
- The second close combat weaponry on the suit, two claws are mounted on each leg and they are sharp enough to penetrate normal armor. The claws serve to increase the suit's close combat capabilities.
- 2-barrel beam cannon
- Mounted on the back turret, and like the twin beam saber, it was developed after studying the G Project mobile suits. The 2-barrel beam cannon is powered by the suit's battery and grants the suit the ability to damage PS armored MS during ranged combat.
The LaGOWE is a quadrupedal mobile suit used by ZAFT and is developed based upon the TMF/A-802 P-Mod.W BuCUE Waltfeld Custom Type. It is generally similar to the original BuCUE and is also designed for ground combat. The first LaGOWE was assigned to "Desert Tiger" Andrew Waltfeld, whose lover Aisha served as his gunner. It engaged in battle with the GAT-X105 Strike, but was defeated. Waltfeld did survive, but not without the cost of his left arm and eye, while Aisha died in the battle. Later into the war, three LaGOWE's engaged Rena Imelia's GAT/A-01E2 Buster Dagger, which was receiving support from Edward Harrelson's GAT-333 Raider Full Spec. All three LaGOWE units were destroyed by Imelia.
- LaGOWE High Maneuver
- Appearing in the manga, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Re:, it is an enhanced LaGOWE featuring additional weapons, and improved mobility via the use of the ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type's thruster engines in its wings. The additional weapons are in the form of added cannons and beam sabers on the wings, and added beam fangs on the head. An anchor launcher, in the form of an extendable tail, is also added to the unit's back, above the back thruster.
Notes & Trivia
- Mitsuo Fukuda's previous anime, Gear Fighter Dendoh, also has a winged quadruped monster called Lagowe.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, the LaGOWE also has the BuCue's ability to disable lock-on using a smoke screen and confuse it by taunting.