FANDOM


  • I have been noticing, in my opinion, an unnecessary amount of screen shots of Gundam series currently airing or have finished airing. I just want to call attention to it and wonder what anyone elses views are of it? The wiki should not be an image dump, but a database that contains helpful reference images. This is what I assume to be the purpose of the wiki.

    I do not think I should be seeing screen captures of a bandaged hands, or disturbed dust rising into the air.

    I believe I have seen multiple uploads of the same screenshot as well. I do not think we need to see the progression of a battle or an event, shot for shot. At that rate, you may as well watch the source material itself!

    tl;dr

    I think there should be a tighter policy on the kinds of imagery uploaded and a prevention of spam if at all possible. Just my opinion, I would like to hear yours. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

      Loading editor
    • If you're referring to User:Pedro Wing Rex 00's mass uploads, I believe he's attempting to put every image he's uploaded on his personal user page before putting them on the articles of the suits they're about. After performing some reverse-image searches. Some are duplicates because he's replacing some of his original files did not state the episode number. Although he's forgot that some satisfied that requirement already.

      I've emailed the wikia staff to see if I can edit the text that appears on image upload tools (which tells people to open up a new tab/window to use the form) in the classic and visual editors but wikia staff responded and told me to make the custom warning text "less angry".

        Loading editor
    • FortressMaximus wrote:
      If you're referring to User:Pedro Wing Rex 00's mass uploads, I believe he's attempting to put every image he's uploaded on his personal user page before putting them on the articles of the suits they're about. After performing some reverse-image searches. Some are duplicates because he's replacing some of his original files did not state the episode number. Although he's forgot that some satisfied that requirement already.

      I've emailed the wikia staff to see if I can edit the text that appears on image upload tools (which tells people to open up a new tab/window to use the form) in the classic and visual editors but wikia staff responded and told me to make the custom warning text "less angry".


      I do not see in anyway how that is "angry," when it is simply telling users to abide by the image policy. Well that is real helpful. So is this spam of images to stop soon as soon as he finishes "replacing" them? Does the wiki really need all those images for those pages, they are soon to be added to?

        Loading editor
    • I think Wikia staff want there to be a consensus on the site, alright if I post a poll here?

        Loading editor
    • FortressMaximus wrote:
      I think Wikia staff want there to be a consensus on the site, alright if I post a poll here?


      Yes please do, I do not mind one bit.

        Loading editor
    • Examples of what the warnings may look like

      Are you okay with warning messages on image upload tools?
       
      38
       
      2
       

      The poll was created at 22:58 on March 10, 2017, and so far 40 people voted.

      Refresh Poll

        Loading editor
    • Sure.

      Not a big fan of shot-by-shot image gallery.

        Loading editor
    • I'll be emailing Wikia Staff about this tomorrow.

        Loading editor
    • FortressMaximus wrote:
      I'll be emailing Wikia Staff about this tomorrow.


      any response form them?

        Loading editor
    • They said the first warning was too big.

        Loading editor
    • So the staff have implemented warning text on:

      • The Image uplad tool on the Visual Editor.

      Still need classic gallery editor and image upload tool somehow, which I suspect to be the main way violators of the policy are uploading images.

        Loading editor
    • Regarding Galleries in Reference Sections/Reference Gallery Sections

      We cannot expect readers to make the connection between paragraphs they've read above (assuming the uploaders did source from these images) and a wall of images below if we do not provide them with any sort of link. Each fact in text should be referenced and if there's no connection between a fact written in text and an "reference" image, then that image is useless as a reference.

      We acknowledge these images have the potential to be useful, but if one simply places it in a gallery without any connection to text in the main parts of the article, then one has made the images useless.

      What one should do is do the same thing you would do to an online web page source.

      1. Use the knowledge in the source, in this case, text in an image, diagrams etc. If you know Japanese, translate it. If you don't know Japanese, just ask for help in the forums.
      2. Use <ref></ref> tags and put a link to the image. It should be an internal link formated like this (remember to include ':' before "File", too):
      [[:File:mysource.png|Descriptive name]]
        Loading editor
    • I have a idea how the images could be handled better to reduce the amount of images on the wikia, but it's up to you all if you want to do it this way:

      Basically group all the TOY & MODEL KITS images into one image, this can be easily done in PAINT. Add the text below each image to reference where it's from, and this way each page will not look so cluttered.

        Loading editor
    • MS Ormus wrote:
      I have a idea how the images could be handled better to reduce the amount of images on the wikia, but it's up to you all if you want to do it this way:

      Basically group all the TOY & MODEL KITS images into one image, this can be easily done in PAINT. Add the text below each image to reference where it's from, and this way each page will not look so cluttered.

      If you know where each toy and model kit image came from why not just add it to their file page and put an indicator in their file name? I think the reason people violate the image policy so much is because it's too tedious to comply with. So for the rules to be obeyed, we must introduced guides that introduce as little tediousness as possible. Editing images and typigng up text, even in MS Paint is just as tedious if not more than simply typing up the same text in the image page.

      Also, text in an image can't be searched for, humans can read it but computers need some complicated OCR. If the image pages have text in them, a search engine (whether google or wikia's less powerful internal one) will be able to find the image's page. If the image page is in a category then we can find the images that way, too. Not only that, but what you're suggesting would make Google's reverse image search fail.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.