The character navigation boxes the Gundam wiki is currently using are way, way too large and unwiedly, to the extent that they're completely unhelpful for use in actually navigating the site. The Universal Century characters template is the most egregious of them, because that continuity is so large. Just look at some of the shorter pages, such as Elle Vianno— the navbox is so huge that it's longer than the actual content!
I propose the following changes:
1) The creation of new character navboxes, broken down by series: "Mobile Suit Gundam characters", "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam characters", "Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ characters", and so on. This would make things much more focused and useful. Going back to my example of Elle Vianno, someone on that page would be much more likely to want to navigate to other ZZ characters than immediately jump from there to, say, Zeon Zun Deikun.
2) If the continuity-wide character templates must be kept, it should be made collapsible, and collapsed by default. This is how, for example, the Final Fantasy Wiki handles their templates, which are indeed quite huge.
Hey I guess I'm back at this again. I've come up with a revised layout for the templates, which can be seen on my sandbox. Compared to before:
• tighter, more compact layout; it's about a third shorter than it was before!
• the individual series navbox is now collapsed by default. It dawned on me that some characters, like Bright, appear in multiple series, and would thus have many of these on their page… if they were all displayed in full, it would make the page even longer than it is now…
• added some flair to the box, by way of a border and some colour. The idea is that every continuity would have its own colour in templates… I used yellow for UC based on the official CC timeline.
I welcome feedback on the changes, but I'd also like to know if there's any objection to instituting these sort of navboxes in general.