Thunder in the Dark(雷鳴の闇 Raimei no Yami) is the Phase-37 of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny,it first aried in Japan on July 2, 2005 and in North America on December 21, 2007.
Shinn destroys Athrun's GOUF Ignited. Athrun and Meyrin, who are thought dead, survive. Ledonir Kisaka rescues them and brings them to the Archangel, which has returned to its underwater port for repairs.
Shinn and Rey pursue Athrun who escaped from Gibraltar. Hearing that Meyrin (who is an intelligence expert) is with Athrun, Durandal grants Rey permission to shoot them for security reasons. Talia protests but Durandal turns a deaf ear. Meanwhile, Shinn is puzzled by the sudden order to shoot Athrun down. Rey persuades him and they both fight and corner Athrun and Meyrin’s GOUF Ignited. Athrun desperately tries to convince Shinn, but his words are altered by Rey and does not reach Shinn. Shinn, as if to shake off his doubts in his mind, shoots down Athrun and Meyrin’s GOUF Ignited as “traitors.”
The truth is buried in the darkness, and the crew of the Minerva hear Athrun and Meyrin’s betrayal and death at the same time. But of course Talia and Lunamaria do not believe this and everyone is shaken by this incident. Shinn hugs the crying Lunamaria and expresses his regret that it has come to this.
Meanwhile, Durandal sends an ultimatum to Heaven’s Base and demand to hand over Djibril and any other LOGOS members, and to surrender and disarm. The Archangel and the Eternal hear this transmission, and the atmosphere become tense.
- Shinn Asuka
- Rey Za Burrel
- Athrun Zala
- Meyrin Hawke
- Gilbert Durandal
- Talia Gladys
- Lunamaria Hawke
- Ledonir Kisaka
- It is revealed in this episode that the Legend is reassigned to Rey after Athrun's defection
- Rey's conversation with Shinn has a few changes in the English dub and in the Japanese dub:
- In the original version, he says via telephone to Shinn that "A fugitive has escaped with one of our Mobile Suits". In the English dub, the quote is changed "Athrun has escaped with a GOUF."
- Before the launching of Destiny and Legend in the Japanese version, Rey tells Shinn that "The guy we're after is Athrun Zala". However, this quote in the English dub is changed to "It may be a GOUF, but that's Athrun, and he is cunning."
- The English dub dialogue is more accurate since Rey already mentioned Athrun escaping to Shinn