Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Man Rodi is the main short-to-middle range combat mobile suit used by the pirate organization Brewers. It is a restored machine that uses the Rodi frame, one of the many frame types produced during the Calamity War. Many mobile suits using this frame were mass produced during the middle period of the Calamity War, and served as the main units in the Outer Sphere for many years. As the Rodi frame does not have a defining characteristic feature, it also does not have much drawbacks either and is thus considered to be very versatile. Due to its versatility, it's able to support heavy armor and Man Rodi is loaded with such until its maximum weight capacity. The Man Rodi is customized primarily for space as its heavy armor would be a huge burden under gravity. Despite its bulky appearance, it's actually quite flexible in outer space when all of the thrusters distributed around the body are actively used.
As the Brewers is a pirate organization, their MO usually centers around targeting merchant ships that carry valuable cargo. In battle, the Brewers would deploy Man Rodi units in front in order to absorb fire from the targeted ship's anti aircraft fire. The takeover of the target ship is eventually done by invading and taking over the bridge. While it is mobile and well protected, the main weakness of the Man Rodi is its short operating time due to its high fuel consumption from its weight.
- Hammer Chopper
- Aside from using this close combat weapon as a hatchet, it can also be used as a hammer since there is a hammer head on the opposite side of the blade. It can be mounted on the rear skirt armor when not in use.
- 90mm Submachine Gun
- A mobile suit-use submachine gun that is widely circulated, pirates favor the weapon due to its relatively low price. Due to its light weight, it is easy to handle. The Submachine gun can be stored on the same mount as the one used by the Hammer Chopper if it is free.
- Hand Grenade
- One hand grenade can be stored behind each side skirt armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- An organic device system, it is an old type of man-machine interface. Apparently, the system was developed during the Calamity War to maximize the abilities of mobile suit, hence most mobile suits from that era are compatible with it. The system consisted of two parts, one part is installed in the mobile suit, and the other part (informally referred to as "Whiskers") is implanted into the pilot’s spine (usually at a young age as the implant only fuse with growing children). Thanks to this system, the pilot can be connected to the mobile suit's computer and directly process mobile suit data. It also allows the pilot (even uneducated ones) to operate the mobile suit for combat without reading the instruction manual. The implant in the pilot also enhances spatial awareness.
- Wire Hook
- Used for grappling, one is mounted into each forearm armor.
The Man Rodis were deployed by the Brewers in their attacks against Tekkadan and Turbines in order to capture Kudelia Aina Bernstein. After the Brewers were defeated, nine Man Rodis were acquired by Tekkadan. Orga Itsuka, Tekkadan's leader, decided to sell them as he felt that they could not use machines that were involved in the death of Masahiro Altland, but nonetheless Tekkadan salvaged some of the Alaya-Vijnana System from the Man Rodi and refit them onto Gusion Rebake and Ryusei-Go. However, not all the Man Rodis were sold. Some were converted into Landman Rodis and later deployed to Tekkadan's Earth Branch.
By chance, two wrecked Man Rodis were found and salvaged by the Hakuri siblings in the debris field. They then modified the two units into their personal MS, the UGY-R41/H Hakuri Rodi.
Gunpla & Toys
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 High Grade 1/144 UGY-R41 Man Rodi model kit Manual | Translation 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 High Grade 1/144 UGY-R41 Man Rodi model kit Manual | Translation 2