The UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom is a mobile Suit in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: STARGAZER.
Technology and Combat characteristics
Civilian Astray DSSD Custom is a multipurpose MS that has been customized to meet the DSSD's needs, it is mainly deployed as work-use MS or as security MS. One of the customization is the head, which mounts specialized sensor unit and is protected from impacts with space debris by a protective visor. Another customization is that its propulsion system is a hybrid of conventional and electromagnetic propulsion system, with one covering the weaknes of the other. The electromagnetic propulsion system also serves as a predecessor to the Stargazer's more advanced "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system. Lastly, as precision work in space requires fine movements, specially designed vernier system is added to the main thruster to allow finer control of the MS. As a side effect of this, the Civilian Astray DSSD Custom also has high mobility in space. In terms of armament, the Civilian Astray DSSD Custom is equipped with a shield, a KMS71/J beam pistol and a laser torch, which also functions as a work tool. The MS is also available for use by civilians and is in fact, one of the few high performance MS that a Natural civilian can obtain easily.
- Laser Torch
- A equipment mainly used for work purposes, but can also be used as a self-defense weapon. By elongating the beam’s focus, the laser torch will become a weapon but doing this requires recognition code from DSSD equipment control center. It is likely that Leon Grave's Civilian DSSD Custom uses a modified version that does not require this code.
- KMS71/J Beam Pistol
- A beam pistol designed by DSSD. It has a unique variable output system and focuses more on rate of fire rather than effective range or power. However, one of its shot still can destroy a MS when it hits the suit's vital places.
- Leons Grave's Civilian DSSD Custom uses an improved version of this beam pistol. Its firing range has been improved greatly and during close combat, it can function as a beam submachine gun.
- A simple defensive armament mounted on the left arm or carried in hand, its sharp edges also allows it to be used as a weapon during close combat. The shield is constructed using special light-weight alloy and does not hamper the MS's mobility in space.
- Specialized Sensor Unit
- A high precision optical sensor unit developed to meet DSSD's needs. It is mounted in the head and protected by a visor.
- Hybrid Propulsion System
- A propulsion system that contains conventional and electromagnetic propulsion system. The latter has lower thrusting power but does not cause as much pollution as former. As such, this hybrid system does not have much negative effects on the function of DSSD's equipment. The electromagnetic propulsion system is mounted in the backpack's center while the conventional system is mounted at the sides.
Civilian Astray DSSD Custom is a joint development between DSSD and Junk Guild, with assistance from former Orb citizens. Based on the Orb Union's Astray series of mobile suits, this suit is used by the DSSD for working tasks and, if necessary, for defensive battles.
When the DSSD Space Station came under an attack from a Phantom Pain squad trying to steal the AI unit of the GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam, a large number of Civilian Astray DSSD Custom units are fielded to defend the station. They however fare poorly against the Phantom Pain's more powerful and advanced mobile suits, with many units being destroyed. Nevertheless, they are able to destroy the GAT-X103AP Verde Buster after its pilot depleted all energy of its suit.
Notes & Trivia
- The "UT" in the model code stands for "utility", and represents the multipurpose nature of the MS.