Design & Development
Helmwige is a Valkyrja Frame mobile suit developed right before the end of the Calamity War. It reappears in the current age when the Grimgerde, another Valkyrja Frame mobile suit, was retrofitted into its likeness to serve as an escort-use unit and to battle the mobile armor Hashmal. As a reference to its reappearance more than 300 years after it was first developed, the word ‘Reincar’, which originates from the word ‘Reincarnation’, is added to the suit’s name. Data of the Helmwige in the Gjallarhorn’s database was used as a reference during the retrofit process, and the completed suit is owned by the Montag Company.
While the Grimgerde’s design emphasizes lightweight and high mobility, the Helmwige Reincar is the complete opposite, focusing instead on heavy armor and equipment. As a result, the reactor output that was used to secure mobility in the Grimgerde is reconfigured for frame output so as to support the Helmwige Reincar’s heavy armor and use of heavy equipment. The suit’s enhanced defensive capabilities are pivotal for escort missions. In combat with mobile armor, the Helmwige Reincar, whose weight is close to the mobility limit of the frame, can use its body to stop the former’s mobility. It will then engage the mobile armor in super close combat.
- Valkyrja Buster Sword
- A large armament that exceeds the mobile suit’s height, it was designed for use against mobile armor and was reproduced using the original design data obtained by the Montag Company. Its handle can slide and extend as needed. When wielding the Valkyrja Buster Sword, the Helmwige Reincar’s feet will split apart and expand to better support the suit. The suit’s center waist armor can flip down and mount the sword when it is not in use.
- Short Club
- The lower part of the Valkyrja Buster Sword‘s handle can detach and serve as a separate weapon.
- Electric Shock Horn
- The pair of horns on the suit’s head can be used to penetrate the opponent’s armor and fry the internal structure. The horns can tilt forward when in use, with the suit’s head protected by a face guard, which is originally the upper center chest armor.
The Helmwige Reincar was deployed to assist in fighting against the Hashmal mobile armor. Due to McGillis' current position, he could not pilot it, thus it was given to his subordinate Isurugi.
Notes & Trivia
- Fitting its use of the Valkyrja Frame, "Helmwige" is the name of the 6th out of 9 Valkyrie in the German opera Die Walküre. However, the Helmwige Reincar's model number uses 'V08' instead of 'V06'.
- Due to the Mobile Suit's lack of actual action during its first appearance, some fans jokingly called it a "sword holder with limbs" and other names with similar meanings.
- Like the HG kit of Grimgerde, Helmwige Reincar's HG kit also lacked the green visor. Instead it had an an orange mono eye.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 HGIBO 1/144 Helmwige Reincar model kit manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Official Site Profile
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Japanese Wiki (source listed as Gundam Ace Feb 2017 issue)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Iron Blooded Orphans Episode 37