XM-05 Berga Giros
|Developed from||XM-04 Berga Dalas|
|First Seen||0123 U.C.|
|Known Pilots||Zabine Chareux|
|Head Height||15.7 meters51.509 ft |
|Max Weight||22.7 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||9.1 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||4790 kW6,423.495 hp|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso)|
|Armor||Titanium Alloy/High-ceramic Composite|
|Max Acceleration||4.32 G|
|Rocket Thrusters||2 x 21820 kg48,104.852 lb |
Technology and Combat Characteristics
Designed and produced in 123 UC the XM-05 Berga Giros is an upgraded version of the XM-04 Berga Dalas. In terms of specs the Berga Giros is 0.1 meters shorter and 0.2 metric tons lighter than the Berga Dalas. Also the output of the ultracompact fusion reactor has been increased to 4790 kW, which is 540 kW greater than even the Federation's advanced F91 Gundam Formula 91. The backpack, which is based on the model used on the Berga Dalas, has been redesigned with a greater number of shelf nozzles allowing for greater speed and maneuverability. Finally it has greater offensive power as two additional machine guns were added to the Berga Giros's shot lancer, giving it a total of four machine gun barrels.
- Beam Shield
- A new protective device used by the mobile suits of the U.C. 0120 era. Thanks to their increased generator output, the scaled-down mobile suits of this era are able to use beam technology for defensive purposes. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself.
- Beam Saber
- A standard melee weapon that generates a beam of plasma contained by an I-field. A highly effective weapon that can melt through any metal armor the only true counter to a beam saber is another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the nature of the I-field containing the plasma beam sabers can be used (by the very skilled) to block beam rifle attacks, or be shaped into different forms such as a beam ax or beam naginata. When not in use beam sabers are stored in a recharge rack located somewhere on the mobile suit's body, recharging on the energy from the mobile suit's ultracompact nuclear reactor.
- Shot Lancer
- A distinctive close combat weapon developed by the Crossbone Vanguard, the shot lancer is designed for combat in and around space colonies, where beam weapons would run the risk of triggering catastrophic reactor explosions in enemy mobile suits. Instead, the shot lancer uses electromagnetic acceleration to drive its tip through the enemy's armor, and the spearhead itself can also be launched like a missile. The shot lancer was first equipped on XM-01 Den'an Zon and remained a standard melee weaponry for many Crossbone Vanguard mobile suit models. The Berga Giros's shot lancer can mount on the right arm, leaving the hand free to operate another weapon.
- 4-Barrel Heavy Machine Gun
- To increase the Shot Lancer's combat effectiveness the weapon was designed to incorporate a machine gun. The Berga Giros's shot lancer featured a four-barrel drum fed heavy machine gun that proved highly effective against the light armor of modern Earth Federation mobile suits, and had the highest ranged offensive rating of any shot lancer used by the Crossbone Vanguard.
- Beam Flag Emitter
- The beam flag emitter is a technology that uses similar principals as a beam saber to generate a large beam shaped into a specific symbol. It is used to act as a battlefield standard, allowing squad units to quickly identify how they should form up in formation and often designating which units were commanders.
- Shelf Nozzle
- On the Berga Giros's back are set of shelf nozzles. This equipment functions as a type of propellant tanks - a disposable storage unit for extra fuel with built-in vernier thrusters, albeit much smaller those used previously on mobile suits and can adjust their angle. Because of their verniers and flexibility they are highly effective tools for increasing fuel capacity and increasing the mobile suit's overall agility.
Introduced in UC 0123, the XM-05 Berga Giros was designed as the successor to the command model mobile suit the XM-04 Berga Dalas for the Crossbone Vanguard. Though there were a few commanders who preferred the older Berga Dalas the Berga Giros was the mobile suit of choice for Crossbone Vanguard ace pilot Zabine Chareux whose unit was painted in the elite Black Vanguard colors. The Berga Giros would be used by Crossbone Vanguard commanders in the invasion of the Frontier IV colony where they proved deadly effective against the Federation's older mobile suits.
When Zabine Chareux was assigned as Berah Ronah's mobile suit operations instructor he would often accompany her practice flights in his Berga Giros.
During the Crossbone Vanguard's attempt to invade Frontier I Zabine Chareux's Berga Giros would do battle with Seabook Arno's Gundam F91 which ended in defeat of Zabine and the destruction of his Berga Giros which was one of the most recognizable units for this model of mobile suit.