Technology & Combat Characteristics
The XM-06 Dahgi Iris is the second reconnaissance mobile suit developed by the Crossbone Vanguard and it was developed alongside the smaller XM-03 Ebirhu-S. However the Ebirhu-S was designed as a "grunt" reconnaissance mobile suit while the Dahgi Iris is a commander-model reconnaissance mobile suit and supports the superior performance and firepower associated with such a designation.
Because its primary purpose is gathering data the Dahgi Iris has highly sensitive sensors placed throughout its body and its combat performance and mobility can't equal its fellow command mobile suits of the Berga series, though it does possess superior speed. Also because of its primary purpose the Dahgi Iris was not equipped with a beam shield as it would interfere with the data gathering sensors, so like the Ebirhu-S it mounts a physical shield.
Though it is not intended for front-line combat the Dahgi Iris is well-equipped for combat with a beam rifle, a pair of beam sabers, and a 3-barrel scattering beam gun mounted in the torso below the cockpit.
- 3-Barrel Scattering Beam Gun
- The XM-06 Dahgi Iris mounts a 3-barrel scattering beam gun in its waist armor, just below the cockpit. The weapon fires concentrated mega particles from all three barrels at once, but the weapon has been designed so that mega particles would spread out instead of remaining tightly focused, similar to a beam spray gun. This reduces the overall range, limiting the weapon's use to mid-to-close range combat. However in exchange the increase beam radius does more overall damage and has a greater chance of hitting the target. This weapon has been shown to be highly effective against other mobile suits of the UC 0123 era unless they use a beam shield as a countermeasure.
- Beam Saber
- A standard melee weapon that generates a beam of plasma contained by an I-field. A highly effective weapon that can melt through any metal armor the only true counter to a beam saber is another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the nature of the I-field containing the plasma beam sabers can be used (by the very skilled) to block beam rifle attacks, or be shaped into different forms such as a beam ax or beam naginata. When not in use beam sabers are stored in a recharge rack located somewhere on the mobile suit's body, recharging on the energy from the mobile suit's ultracompact nuclear reactor. The Dahgi Iris carries a single beam saber stored in a recharge rack located on the rear waist armor.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless.
- The Dahgi Iris is equipped with a physical shield mounted on the left arm instead of a beam shield like other Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits because the beam shield would interfere with the Dahgi Iris's sensitive sensor equipment.
Special Equipment & Features
- Beam Flag Emitter
In the year UC 0123, the Crossbone Vanguard invaded the Frontier IV colony, and among the mobile suit forces it deployed were XM-06 Dahgi Iris command reconnaissance mobile suits. Because of their heavy firepower for a reconnaissance mobile suit the Dahgi Iris were often assigned to lead teams of Ebirhu-S as an escort and to supervise them.
One Dahgi Iris pilot, Annamarie Bourget, defected to the Earth Federation Forces near the end of the war, bringing her Dahgi Iris with her. The mobile suit was then repainted an off-yellow color so that it could be distinguished by its Federation allies. Annamarie Bourget and her Dahgi Iris fought against the Crossbone Vanguard inside the Frontier I colony alongside Seabook Arno and Birgit Pirjo. Though she destroyed several Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits she was particularly intent on killing Berah Ronah but her Dahgi Iris was destroyed in combat against Zabine Chereaux's XM-05 Berga Giros.