The XM-08 Zondo Gei is a mass-produced mobile suit of the Crossbone Vanguard. It was featured in the manga Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
As with other mobile suits of the day, the Zondo Gei was designed to be light weight to make it fast and maneuverable. To this end the Zondo Gei was made exceptionally small at a mere 10 meters, making it one of the smallest mobile suits ever. However its small size meant it had to have a smaller reactor and thus suffered a decrease in efficiency and combat ability. Despite this shortcoming the Zondo Gei could still use beam weapons and mounted a beam shield on the left shoulder, however to conserve energy the pilots of the Zondo Gei preferred the signature Crossbone Vanguard mobile suit weapon, the shot lancer. It could also mount a booster to its back which increased its speed and flight range.
Another piece of equipment used to conserve energy was an anti-beam cloak rigged on the mobile suit's waist, giving it the appearance of a skirt. The anti-beam cloak was equipment prepared before battles and could withstand up to five beam shots before coming apart. However the placement of the anti-beam cloak suggests it is mainly used to protect the mobile suit's lower half while the upper half is protected from the admittedly limited coverage of the beam shield.
Overall the Zondo Gei was a sub-par machine when compared to contemporary mobile suits, possibly why it was never used by the original Crossbone Vanguard, and pilots had to rely more on their ability and intuition to survive combat against superior machines.
- Beam Shield
- A new protective device used by the mobile suits of the U.C. 0120 era. Thanks to their increased generator output, the scaled-down mobile suits of this era are able to use beam technology for defensive purposes. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself. The Zondo Gei is equipped with a single beam shield mounted on its left shoulder.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from a special rack. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating.
- Shot Lancer
- A distinctive close combat weapon developed by the Crossbone Vanguard, the "shot lancer" is designed for combat in and around space colonies, where beam weapons would run the risk of triggering catastrophic reactor explosions in enemy mobile suits. Instead, the shot lancer uses electromagnetic acceleration to drive its tip through the enemy's armor, and the spearhead itself can also be launched like a missile.
- 2-barrel Heavy Machine Gun
- To increase the shot lancer's combat effectiveness, the weapon was designed to incorporate a machine gun. The shot lancer featured a two-barrel drum-fed heavy machine gun that proved highly effective against the light armor of modern mobile suits.
Special Equipment & Features
- Anti-beam Coating Cloak
The production of the Zondo Gei began around the year UC 0123, though the production run was limited and the Zondo Gei would not become known until some years later when the second Crossbone Vanguard would turn pirate and start a secret war with the Jupiter Empire. In the year UC 0133, the second Crossbone Vanguard possessed five Zondo Gei mobile suits, all operated by excellent pilots, that would serve as the backbone of their mobile suit forces. However by the same year, the Buch Concern had ceased producing parts for the ten-year old mobile suit and it was impossible to continue repairs. In the end, they had no choice but to sacrifice the units, sending them on autopilot against enemy units on the Jupiter's moon Io, to act as a distraction while the real mobile suit team attacked from a different direction. To make up for the loss of the Zondo Gei, the Crossbone Vanguard filled their ranks with captured EMS-06 Batara and an EMS-10 Pez Batara mobile suits.