|Developed from||XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1|
|First Seen||0133 U.C.|
|Last Seen||0136 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Strategic Naval Research Institute|
|Operator||Strategic Naval Research Institute|
|Known Pilots||Umon Samon|
|Power-plant||Minvosky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso with Core Block System using Core Fighter|
|Armor||Gundarium Alloy/Ceramic Composite|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The XM-10 Flint is a mass-production version of the Crossbone Gundam series. It retained the long X-shaped thruster assembly that was part of a plug in Core Fighter. With the addition to the AMBAC by the additional limbs, the main thrusters, composed of four thrusters can be pointed at any direction, or combined into one huge rocket column for increased speed, allowing high mobility around Jupiter's orbit without increasing the size and mass of the mobile suit.
Another feature utilized by the Flint is the Anti-Beam Coating cloak, which can be stored in the back and unfolded when needed. When unfolded, it covered the entire body, and dispersed energy over the cloak. Armaments included a pair of beam sabers, a pair of beam shields, the head Vulcan, mega machine gun, and a beam rifle. One notable feature was its eye patch that was in fact a high powered sensor scope to increase targeting accuracy.
- Vulcan gun
- The Flint is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan guns. The purpose of the Vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective as a means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and far more limited in ammunition. At close range the Vulcan guns can do some damage to an enemy mobile suit, especially to unarmored areas such as the sensors in the head. When faced with Vulcan fire enemies seem to instinctively try to dodge or at least attempt to protect vital area of the mobile suit, actions the pilot of the Flint can take advantage of.
- Mega machine gun
- The scaled-down version of X1 Crossbone Gundam's Mega Machine Cannon, mounts on the chest of Flint. In the age of miniaturized mobile suits, the emphasis for mobile suit designs is speed, thus armor is sacrificed to reduce mass and weight. This leaves many mobile suits vulnerable to physical round weapons, such as machine guns, that had been discarded for mobile suit combat because of a lack of effectiveness after the One Year War.
- Beam saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam, and many other machines developed in the years after the One Year War. Beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The Flint is equipped with two beam sabers stored in shoulder racks when not in use. They also serve as the beam guns the beam guns for the corefighter.
- Heat dagger
- The Flint are equipped with four heat dagger weapons for close combat. As their name implies the heat daggers rely on the technology, first developed by the Principality of Zeon, of using thermal energy to heat up a metal blade to super-high temperatures. The high heat allows the blade to begin melting the enemies armor on contact, which when combined with the force applied to the attack, can inflict significant damage. The four heat daggers of the Flint are mounted in the legs, two stored on the back of the calves that are hand-operated when in use, and one stored and in each foot that slides out but is permanently mounted in the foot and used in kicking attacks. Because the heat daggers do not have the range or the power of the beam saber the pilot is required to be more precise in their use, relying more on skill than technology.
- Beam shield/brand marker
- A new protective device used by the mobile suits of the U.C. 0120 era. Thanks to their increased generator output, the scaled-down mobile suits of this era are able to use beam technology for defensive purposes. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself. Beam shield generators can be built into the arm of the mobile suit or they can be optional equipment, a unit that mounts on the mobile suit's arm and draws power directly from the fusion reactor. The beam shield generators of the Flint can further take advantage of beam energy malleability, forming four short beam blades at the corners of the beam shield generator that meet at the center, which gives the brand marker as a whole a pyramidal shape. The brand marker slides over the fist of the mobile suit and is used as a punching weapon. When used, the the brand marker leaves an X-shaped hole, if the target area isn't completely destroyed.
- Beam rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. Like most beam weapons of the period, the Flint's Beam Rifle is powered by a replaceable energy cap. If the beam rifle runs out of energy, the current energy cap can be removed and replaced by a new one, which is stored on the unit's shield.
- Beam zanber
- The beam zanber is a high power beam saber and is the primary weapon of the Flint. The hilt of the beam zanber is modeled after that of a traditional pirate cutlass, as does the beam blade when it is formed, and is stored on the left hip when not in use. The power of the beam zanber is significantly higher than that of ordinary beam sabers, such that it is easy for the Flint to overpower an enemy in melee combat or even "cut" through the beam of an ordinary beam saber. Behind the guard of the beam zanber is a gun handle that is used in the zanbuster configuration.
- Anti-beam Coating Cloak
- As with other Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits used in the year UC 0133, the Flint could be equipped with a cloth cloak that had been treated with an anti-beam coating. Functioning similar to the old physical shields that had received the same treatment, the cloak was used to protect the mobile suit from beam shots. With its size it could completely cover the mobile suit, with the exception of the head, providing full body protection. However, despite its advantages, one of which is conserving power, the cloak has two disadvantages. First, unlike a beam shield the cloak can only handle about 5 shots before the coating wears off, rendering the cloak to simple cloth. The second disadvantage is that the cloak offers no protection from physical weapons.
- Unlike normal Mobile Suits, the Flint is equipped with long variable X-shaped thrusters, composed of four thrusters can be pointed at any direction: with the addition of AMBAC, the main thrusters allow high mobility around Jupiter's orbit, while combined into one huge rocket column they largely increased the unit's top speed, without increasing the size and mass of the mobile suit.
- Special Weapons Targeting System
- In order to increase the accuracy of the Flint, a Targeting System was equipped on this Mobile Suit. It's a high resolution camera, which takes the look of a pirate's eyepatch. This device was more than enough to raise the efficiency of the pilot.
- Blackrow Shipping worker mobile suit disguise
- The Crossbone Vanguard created this device to hide the Flints. When they are inactive, the Flint was disguise as Working Mobile Suit of the Blackrow Shipping Company (A front company of the Pirates).
During the first Jupiter conflict Crossbone Vanguard pilots Umon Samon, Yona, and Jared were each given a Flint unit, which they used in the final battle against Jupiter Empire president Crux Dogatie who piloted eight EMA-10 Divinidad with the help of an organic control system. After the Jupiter Empire conflict ended, the three Crossbone pilots would use their Flints as combat and work mobile suits under the new Crossbone Vanguard lead by Tobia Arronax. The Flint will also see action in the second Jupiter conflict, only to be defeated by Jupiter Empire's Amakusa.