Technology & Combat Characteristics
Following the loss of its Core Fighter, the XM-X2 Crossbone Gundam X-2 was upgraded on the Jupitris 9 using the technology of the Jupiter Empire. Because the theft of the Core Fighter also resulted in the loss of its combat computer, all work had to be done using combat data the Empire had collected in its battles against the Crossbone Vanguard. Though the X-thrusters are enlarged and given extra thrusters, their performance is no better and thus the X-2 Kai can be seen as equivalent to the original version. This can be attributed to the differences in the Jupiter Empire's technology as well as their efforts to reproduce a machine with which they weren't familiar. The loss of the Core Fighter has another more obvious disadvantage; in a final showdown with Kincade Nau's XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai, the X-2 Kai was critically damaged and pilot Zabine Chareux was unable to escape its destruction.
- Vulcan Gun
- These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam, and many other machines developed in the years after the One Year War. Beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The Crossbone Gundam is equipped with two beam sabers stored in shoulder racks when not in use.
- Heat Dagger
- An alternative close combat weapon, the heat dagger is unlike most heat weapons as its blade is heated using leftover heat from the leg's thrusters. The heated blade can melt the enemies armor on contact, which when combined with the force applied to the attack, can inflict significant damage. The heat daggers are stored in the legs, one in each calf. Normally, it is handheld when in use, but it can also slide out of the sole as a surprise attack.
- Scissor Anchor
- Each Crossbone Gundam is equipped with a pair of scissor anchors stored on the front skirt armor. These anchors are attached to the Gundam by long chains and use scissor claws to grip objects. While these are not offense weapons per-say, they provide several uses in combat. They can be used to grip the limb and an enemy machine to ensnare it or to reel it in closer to the Crossbone Gundam where it is within melee combat range. They can also be used to turn ensnared mobile suits into bludgeoning weapons by pulling on the chain. The scissor anchors can also be used to stabilize the Gundam's footing in case of emergencies, such as when fighting the wind force of an explosion.
- Beam Shield/Brand Marker
- The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber which is capable of blocking both beams and physical weapons. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself. Beam shield generators can be built into the arm of the mobile suit or as an optional equipment. A unit that mounts on the mobile suit's arm and draws power directly from the fusion reactor.
- The beam shield generators of the Crossbone Gundams can further take advantage of how malleable the energy is to form four short beam blades at the corners of the beam shield generator that meet at the center, giving the brand marker as a whole a pyramidal shape. The brand marker slides over the fist of the mobile suit and is used as a punching weapon. When used the the brand marker leaves an X-shaped hole, if the target area isn't completely destroyed.
- Buster Launcher
- A high powered beam weapon modified from the original X-2's buster launcher by the Jupiter Empire, it is capable of destroying Federation warships in one shot.
- Buster Gun
- The buster gun is the primary ranged weapon of the Crossbone Gundam. This beam pistol is modeled after a flintlock pistol and is typically used with only one of the mobile suit's hands, leaving the second hand free to use a melee weapon. Stored on the right hip when not in use the buster gun can combine with the beam zanber to form the zanbuster.
- Beam Zanber
- The beam zanber is a high power beam saber and is the primary weapon of the Crossbone Gundam. The hilt of the beam zanber is modeled after that of a traditional pirate cutlass, as does the beam blade when it is formed, and is stored on the left hip when not in use. The power of the beam zanber is significantly higher than that of ordinary beam sabers, such that it is easy for the Crossbone Gundam to overpower an enemy in melee combat or even "cut" through the beam of an ordinary beam saber. Behind the guard of the beam zanber is a gun handle that is used in the zanbuster configuration.
- A beam rifle formed from the combination of the beam zanber and the buster gun, the beam it fires is stronger than those of the buster gun. In this configuration, the butt of the buster gun is connected to the beam emitter of the beam zanber. When a grenade is attached to the Zanbuster's emitter, it can also function as a single shot grenade launcher.
- Shot Lancer
- A distinctive close combat weapon developed by the Crossbone Vanguard, the Shot Lancer is designed for combat in and around space colonies, where beam weapons would run the risk of triggering catastrophic reactor explosions in enemy mobile suits. Instead, the shot lancer uses electromagnetic acceleration to drive its tip through the enemy's armor, and the spearhead itself can also be launched like a missile. The shot lancer was first equipped on the XM-01 Den'an Zon and remained a standard melee weaponry for many Crossbone Vanguard mobile suit models.
- 4-barrel Heavy Machine Gun
- The shot lancer used by the X-2 has a drum fed four-barrel heavy machine gun model such as those used by the XM-05 Berga Giros that Zabine used to pilot.
Special Equipment & Features
- Anti-beam Coating Cloak
- As with other Crossbone Vanguard mobile suits used in the year UC 0133, the X-2 could be equipped with a cloth cloak that had been treated with an anti-beam coating. Functioning similar to the old physical shields that had received the same treatment, the cloak was used to protect the mobile suit from beam shots. With its size it could completely cover the mobile suit, with the exception of the head, providing full body protection. However, despite its advantages, one of which is conserving power, the cloak has two disadvantages. First, unlike a beam shield the cloak can only handle about 5 shots before the coating wears off, rendering the cloak to simple cloth. The second disadvantage is that the cloak offers no protection from physical weapons.
- Dummy Launcher
- A deception device that takes advantage of Minovsky particle interference. Thanks to this interference, warfare in the Universal Century era relies heavily on visual sensors, which can be tricked by inflatable decoys. These decoy balloons are designed to mimic mobile suits, asteroids, and even warships. More sophisticated varieties are equipped with small maneuvering verniers, allowing them to move in a realistic manner and register on infra-red sensors.
- The XM-X2 is equipped with a hand mounted dummy launcher that can deploy several dummies in the shape and color of the XM-X2. With these dummies the Gundam can confuse an enemy trying to bombard the Gundam at long range, long enough to get close enough for the Gundam to use its weapons.
- Heat Radiation Face Open
- Like its brother units the X-2 can temporarily "Open Face" to release Heat and increase performance. This allows the X-2 to perform otherwise extremely demanding maneuvers or attacks that would normally be considered impossible.
- Bio-Computer System
- A new kind of man-machine interface, that is functionally a reverse psycommu system, the bio-computer places less strain on its human operator. The bio-computer is originally intended to help the disabled, but its development is ultimately funded by the Earth Federation Forces, who hoped to employ it as a mobile suit control system and installed it in the F91 Gundam for experimental purposes. As its name implies, the bio-computer is similar in structure to a human brain, and its operating processes resemble human thoughts and feelings. Rather than merely displaying data on a computer monitor, the bio-computer can relay it directly to the pilot in the form of sensory information, so what the machine "feels" can also be experienced by the human operator. However, the full latent potential of this system can only be tapped by a Newtype pilot.
When Jupiter Empire leader Crux Dogatie staged a "sporting" fight between the XM-X2 Crossbone Gundam X-2 and the young pilot Tobia Arronax, he hadn't counted on Tobia managing to hijack the X-2 and using its Core Fighter to escape. Left without a cockpit, the Jupiter Empire had to modify the X-2 so that the traitorous Zabine Chareux could pilot it again. After completing the ritualistic torture that the Jupiter Empire put him through, Zabine's first act with the new X-2 Kai was to frame his former allies. As the Mother Vanguard was surrounded by Earth Federation battleships, Zabine attacked, making the Federation think that Berah Ronah (aka Cecily Fairchild) had hostile intentions and setting off a full-scale battle. After allowing Kincade Nau (aka Seabook Arno) to exhaust himself fighting the Federation's Gundam F91s, Zabine came in to finish off his hated rival. However, a near-miss with his beam saber, Kincade's ingenuity and SNRI's medical care resulted in Kincade's return to the battlefield some months later. Zabine attacked him once again, but Kincade gained the upper hand and finished Zabine by stabbing a heat dagger into X-2 Kai's cockpit, destroying the Gundam.