XXXG-01H Gundam Heavyarms
The XXXG-01H Gundam Heavyarms (aka Heavyarms or Gundam Zero-Three) is a mobile suit from the series Mobile Suit Gundam WIng. It was the third of Operation Meteor's five Gundams. Gundam Heavyarms was piloted by a young man operating under the pseudonym Trowa Barton.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Created by Gundam Scientist Doktor S, the Heavyarms was developed in the L3 Colonies under the financial support of the Barton Foundation. The design concept of the Heavyarms was for it to have an extraordinary amount of ranged firepower. It is literally a walking arsenal. Gundam Heavyarms' primary weapon is its Beam Gatling Gun mounted over its left arm. Heavyarms also relied on missiles housed in pods on its shoulders and legs, dual Gatling guns housed in the chest, dual machine cannons mounted on its torso, and dual vulcan guns mounted in the head. In the case that the Heavyarms uses up all its ammo, it features a foldable army knife on its right arm to engage enemies in close combat; while this made it the least close-combat capable Gundam of the 5 units, the lethality of its attack should still not be underestimated. When Heero Yuy borrowed the Heavyarms to engage in a duel with Zechs Merquise in his Tallgeese, the Heavyarms was refitted by Trowa to store a beam saber inside the left forearm.
- Vulcan Gun
- These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Machine Cannon
- A pair of machine cannons is concealed within the clavical armor of the Heavyarms. Sports stronger power than the vulcan guns.
- Homing Missile
- Six homing missiles are stored within the shoulders of the Heavyarms, they are fired at the enemies with a lock-on. The Katoki version features more of these missiles (44) and they are stored in the front skirts and missile pods mounted on the legs.
- Micro Missile
- Two pods each containing twelve micro missiles are mounted on the legs of the Heavyarms. The Katoki version features more of these missiles (52) and they are stored within the shoulders and the side skirts.
- Chest Gatling Cannon
- Two high power Gatling guns are mounted within the chest of the Heavyarms. When in use, the chest armor opens up, and the guns are fired. They are powerful enough to deal significant damage to Gundanium armor.
- Beam Gatling Gun
- Mounted over the left forearm, the Beam Gatling Gun also comes with a shield. When not in use, it can be carried on the back. This weapon can deal serious damage even to Gundanium Alloy due to its beam ammunition. In the Katoki version, this weapon is still a beam weapon but is connected via a cable to an energy tank mounted on the back. Another change is that while the TV version had its Beam Gatling Gun mounted over the left arm, the Katoki version has it as a handheld weapon. The shield is also change into a removable add-on as seen in the MG model kit, and can be mounted on the Gatling Gun or on the left forearm.
- Army Knife
- Mounted below the right arm, it folds foward when in used. However, it has limited capabilities as its blade is considerably short. In the Katoki version, the knife is a removable add-on rather than a permanent fixture.
- Beam Saber
- An additional weapon stored in the left forearm for Heero's rematch with Zechs. The weapon was presumably borrowed from the Wing Gundam's arsenal, having the same green blade coloration. When the Beam Gatling is out of ammo, it and the left forearm is detached, revealing the beam saber stored within. The beam saber is then wielded by the right hand.
- Beam Cannon
- The beam cannon is a large handheld beam weapon, it possesses a high output and is capable of destroying a Mobile Suit in a single shot.
- Igel Armament
- A set of extra weapons for the Katoki version, making its debut in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers. Two large missile pods on each shoulder, two small pods on each leg, and a pair of treads attached to the legs for better ground mobility.
Special Equipment & Features
- A heli pack that attaches to the back of the Heavyarms, it has twin propellers and boosters to give the Heavyarms aerial capability. Used only by the Katoki version.
- Self-Destruct System
- The Heavyarms was built to self-destruct should the pilot choose to. A remote detonator is placed within the cockpit and if a dire situation arrives, the pilot can destroy the Mobile Suit. The system was designed to overload its power systems and has enough explosive power to destroy several city blocks. It's a last option tactic if the pilot is incapable of protecting the Mobile Suit, while not allowing it to fall into enemy hands. It also can be used as one large explosive device to eradicate large targets.
With financial backing from the Barton Foundation, Gundam Heavyarms was designed for use in the first Operation Meteor plan which involved a colony drop and subsequent "extinction level event" on Earth. Gundam Heavyarms, along with its four companion Mobile Suits, was to be used to control the ensuing chaos after the colony drop. Gundam Heavyarms was to be piloted by the son of the head of the Barton Security Group, Trowa Barton.
The Gundam design teams, however, did not want their creations used as weapons of mass murder and decided to wage the war for colony independence in their own way. Coming up with a new plan for Operation Meteor, Doktor S killed the original Trowa Barton. An anonymous young mobile suit mechanic took over as the pilot of the Gundam Heavyarms, adopting the name of its former pilot.
As Operation Meteor escalated into a full-fledged war between OZ and the five Gundams, it became clear that the battle would eventually have to be fought in space. Since Gundam Heavyarms was designed primarily for ground-based combat, it would need to be upgraded for space combat. Lacking the resources for such an upgrade however, Trowa instead opted to abandon the Heavyarms on Earth before leaving for outer space. Sally Po eventually discovered the abandoned Heavyarms, but was unable to make use of it despite being accompanied by Gundam pilots Heero Yuy and Chang Wufei. After meeting up with the remaining Gundam pilots aboard the Peacemillion, Howard ordered its crew to perform the necessary upgrades before returning it to Trowa. Some of the improvements included extra vernier thrusters and a second beam Gatling added to the Beam Gatling Gun.
- The first design of Gundam Heavyarms was to follow the national trend from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Gundam Heavyarms design was American and had clown motifs. Some of its early designs also have its beam Gatling mounted on its left shoulder instead of being hand-carried.
- In the manga version of Gundam W, the Heavyarms was involved in the battle at Sanc Kingdom and was equipped with backpack-mounted beam cannons and a bazooka-like handheld weapon. It was also never modified into Heavyarms Kai after it was recovered. Instead, it was equipped with a backpack-mounted beam cannon and an arm-mounted missile launcher until the end of the story.
- Of the five Operation Meteor Gundams, Heavyarms is the only one which was never damaged badly enough to be disabled.
- When Katoki first released his version of Heavyarms, the Gatling gun was a shell firing weapon. However, it was later changed into a beam firing weapon in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers as well as the MG model kit.
- New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers shows that the army knife is mounted on the bottom of the right arm but the MG model kit has it on the side instead.