XXXG-01SR2 Gundam Sandrock Kai
|Developed from||XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock|
|First Seen||195 A.C.|
|Last Seen||196 A.C.|
|Operator||The Gundam Pilots|
|Known Pilots||Quatre Raberba Winner|
|Head Height||16.5 meters54.134 ft |
|Standard Weight||7.9 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||2998 kW4,020.384 hp (EW Version)|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot Only, Cockpit in Torso|
|Rocket Thrusters||72030 kg158,798.923 lb |
79.399 tons (EW Version)
The XXXG-01SR2 Gundam Sandrock Kai (aka Sandrock Kai or Gundam Zero-Four), is the upgraded version of XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. It is piloted by Quatre Raberba Winner.
Technology & Combat CharacteristicsEdit
An upgrade over the original Sandrock to make it capable of combat in space. Extra verniers were added to the shoulder armor, back skirt, backpack, and legs to increase mobility, and a beam machine gun was added in case the Sandrock Kai needed to engage in ranged combat.
The OVA Version possibly has higher performance than the TV Version, as with the other four Gundams. Minor cosmetic changes were made, however, the weapons that are used remain the same. Any upgrades made to the weapons are unknown. The armor was also improved.
- Heat Shotel
- Fashioned after an ancient Ethiopian weapon, the Heat Shotels are superheated blades that melt and cut through enemies.
- Vulcan Cannon
- Weak shell fining weapons mounted in the head, designed to shoot down missiles
- Homing Missile
- Homing missiles that are stored within the clavical section. Mainly used in intercepting enemies. This weapon is omitted from the Katoki version.
- Cross Crusher
- A weapon formed by combining the old Sandrock's backpack, shield, and heat shotels. As the backpack of Sandrock Kai was modified with extra verniers, it no longer able to form the Cross Crusher during battle. Instead, it had to be carried into battle. The Katoki version doesn't need the backpack to form the Cross Crusher and thus can be formed on field.
- A shield with anti beam coating. It is modeled after the head of a snake, with the two claws representing the fangs, and the shield flashers (designed to confuse enemies), disguised as the "eyes". It is unknown if the Katoki version had a shield as it wasn't shown in the OVA. Interestingly, while a shield is included in the 1/144 model kit, the 1/100 kit does not include this item. This shield is quite different from the original and does not resemble a snake's head. Instead, the shield had an emblem that resembles a caduceus with a single snake.
- Beam Machine Gun
- A low power beam weapon wiith a high firing rate, it is the only ranged weapon on the Sandrock Kai other than the Homing Missiles and the vulcan guns.
- Diffusing Cloak
- Featured only on the Katoki version, it is a piece of material with anti-beam coating that is able to take a few beam shots before disintegrating.
Special Equipment & FeaturesEdit
Although pilot Quatre Raberba Winner had activated the self-destruct system on his Gundam Sandrock during his escape into space, the ensuing explosion had rendered the mobile suit useless - but its gundanium alloy body was still more or less intact. The Sandrock's remains were confiscated by OZ, but later would be retrieved by members of his Maganac Corps allies and taken to their underground base in the Middle East, where it would be rebuilt and fully restored. After Quatre's return to Earth, he returned to the Maganacs to pilot his Gundam once again. But the military and political strife plaguing the Earth Sphere in AC 195 would reach a decisive conclusion in space, and Quatre returned to space with his Sandrock to join the battle. Aboard the independent battleship Peacemillion, Gundam supporter Howard would upgrade the mobile suit, giving it minor improvements for space combat.
Though the changes made to the Gundam Sandrock Kai were cosmetically minor, they would give the mobile suit the edge it needed to use its abilities against the space-bound forces of White Fang's Virgo II mobile dolls and the mobile suits of the World Nation military. The addition of several vernier thrusters made the Sandrock stable to operate in a zero-gee environment. Also, over Quatre's protests, Gundam pilot Heero Yuy also temporarily outfitted the Sandrock with a component of the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero's infamous Zero System, allowing Quatre to coordinate the Peacemillion's mobile suit forces in an assault against White Fang's mobile dolls.
Two years later, Quatre and the other three Gundam pilots, save for Wufei, decided to send their Gundams into the sun through the mobile asteroid Vulkanus. However, in AC 197 the Barton Foundation upsurped the pacifist Earth Sphere Unified Nation and abducted its leader, Representative Relena Darlian. To combat this new threat, Quatre, after dispatching Wing Zero to Heero, redirected the course of Vulkanus so that it would not collide with the sun. Later, Quatre, Trowa, and Duo retrieved their respective Gundams from the asteroid and traveled to Earth to assist Zechs Marquise and Lucrezia Noin who were fighting an army of Serpent mobile suits in Brussels, Belgium. After the Marimeia Conflict was over, Sandrock was self-detonated alongside Deathscythe and Heavyarms.
- Sandrock Kai appears in Gundam Vs Gundam Next Plus as an unplayable unit and assist for Deathscythe Hell and is the only Gundam out of the five main ones to not be playable. Unlike most Gundams, it has a very low GP count but very poor armor in contrast to its original depiction as being the most heavily armored Gundam in the Wing series. Oddly, unlike the other unplayable units that can be accessed via cheat device, Sandrock does not have a portrait in the results section whereas the others use a silhouette of Zeta Gundam with a number representing their value digit. It was included solely for a mission where the player has to fight against all five of the Gundams.
http://www.gundamgallery.com/data/media/76/Gundam%20Wing%20-%20MS%20Encyclopedia%20-054.jpg http://www.gundamgallery.com/data/media/76/Gundam%20Wing%20-%20MS%20Encyclopedia%20-056.jpg http://www.gundamgallery.com/data/media/76/Gundam%20Wing%20-%20MS%20Encyclopedia%20-057.jpg
- XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock Kai (TV Version) on MAHQ.net
- XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock (OVA Version) on MAHQ.net