XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gundam's primary armament consisted of head mounted vulcans, a Chinese/Japanese style "beam glaive", and a Chinese inspired "Dragon Fang" on the right arm. The fang itself is armed with "claws" for grappling an opponent and two flamethrowers on the sides.
- Beam Glaive
- A spear like weapon modeled after the Chinese Guan Dao, it is a pole that can emit a short dagger-like beam blade from one end. In the hands of close combat specialist Chang Wufei, it can cause serious carnage among enemy troops. The Katoki version has this weapon replaced with a single-ended beam trident.
- Dragon Fang
- A claw shaped like the head of a Chinese Dragon, it is integrated into the extendable right arm in the TV version, and attached to the non-extendable right arm in the Katoki version. In both versions, it is often used for crushing enemies and mounts a pair of flamethrowers, adding to the dragon motif.
- A weapon that spouts superheated flames, melting through the enemies. They are mounted on the sides of the dragon fang.
- Shenlong Shield
- A small and light shield well suited to the Shenlong Gundam's close-combat role. It can also be thrown as an offensive weapon.
- Vulcan Gun
- A weak shell firing weapon used to shoot down incoming missiles.
- An additional weapon for the Katoki version, making its debut in Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers. This sword is connected to the Shenlong Shield via a cable attached to the bottom of the hilt.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fighting Sight
- A unique system installed in the shoulders and chest. During combat, it instantly calculates the precise position, movement, and weak points of an opponent.
- Self-Destruct System
The Gundam called Shenlong was design and constructed by Master O somewhere in the L5 colony cluster. As the Shenlong Gundam was nearing completion, Mei Lan Long (Wufei's fiance) had taken the name of "Nataku", stole a mobile suit, apparently the OZ-00MS Tallgeese, when the colony was attacked. Nataku piloted the Tallgeese out into space with a beam cannon. The ensuing battle took its toll on Nataku and she later died in Wufei's arms. Her death caused Wufei to take up the job of piloting Shenlong against the United Earth Sphere Alliance and OZ. Throughout the series, Wufei affectionately called the Shenlong Gundam "Nataku" after his deceased wife.
Notes & Trivia
- Shenlong literally means "God Dragon" in Chinese/Mandarin.
- The first design draft of the Shenlong Gundam was to follow the national trend from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Shenlong Gundam's design is Chinese and was based on GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam. Notably, this second draft has a shield similar to XXXG-01D Gundam Deathscythe's buster shield with three physical blades and the dragon fang is mounted on the left arm instead of the right arm in the final design.
- The Shenlong Gundam was the only Gundam of the original 5 to not feature any clavicle-mounted weaponry such as missiles or machine guns.
- In its incomplete form (as seen in Episode Zero), the Shenlong did not feature its dragon fang arm, possessing a normal right arm and shoulder armor similar to its leftside.
- ↑ Japanese Gundam Wikia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on MAHQ.net
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on Wikipedia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on GundamOfficial.com