XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam
|Developed from||XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero|
|First Seen||194 A.C.|
|Last Seen||195 A.C.|
|Operator||The Gundam Pilots|
|Known Pilots||Chang Wufei|
|Overall Height||16.4 meters53.806 ft |
|Max Weight||7.4 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact fusion reactor|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot Only (Cockpit in Torso)|
The XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam (aka Shenlong, Nataku, or Gundam Zero-Five) is mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Piloted by Chang Wufei, the unit was later rebuilt and upgraded into Altron Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gundam's primary armament consisted of head mounted vulcans, a Chinese/Japanese style "beam glaive", and a Chinese inspired extendable "Dragon Fang" integrated with the right arm. The fang itself is armed with "claws" for grappling an opponent and two flamethrowers on the sides of the dragon head.
- Beam Glaive
- A spear like weapon modeled after the Chinese Guan Dao, a pole with a short dagger like blade mounted on the end. In the hands of combat specialist Chang Wufei, it can cause serious carnage among enemy troops. The Katoki version has this weapon replaced with a single bladed beam trident.
- Dragon Fang
- An extendable claw shaped like the head of a Chinese Dragon that flies off and crushes enemies. In both the TV version and the Katoki version, it mounts a pair of flamethrowers, adding to the motif of a dragon.
- A weapon that spouts superheated flames, melting through the enemies. They are mounted on the dragon fang.
- Shenlong Shield
- A shield that is small and light to suit the role of the Shenlong Gundam. In the hands of Chang Wufei, it is rarely used as a shield, but more like an offensive weapon, where it is hurled at enemies.
- Vulcan Cannon
- A weak shell firing weapon used to shoot down incoming missiles.
- An additional weapon for the Katoki redesign, making its debut in Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers. This sword has a cable from the bottom of the hilt connected to the Shenlong Shield and can be retrieved after throwing it.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fighting Sight
- A unique system installed in the shoulders and chest. During combat, it instantly calculates the precise position, movement, and weak points of an opponent.
- Self-Destruct System
The Gundam called Shenlong was design and constructed by Master O somewhere in the L5 colony cluster. As the Shenlong Gundam was nearing completion, Mei Lan Long (Wufei's fiance) had taken the name of "Nataku", stole a mobile suit, apparently the OZ-00MS Tallgeese, when the colony was attacked. Nataku piloted the Tallgeese out into space with a beam cannon. The ensuing battle took its toll on Nataku and she later died in Wufei's arms. Her death caused Wufei to take up the job of piloting Shenlong against the United Earth Sphere Alliance and OZ. Throughout the series, Wufei affectionately called the Shenlong Gundam "Nataku" after his deceased wife.
Notes & Trivia
- Shenlong literally means "God Dragon" in Chinese/Mandarin.
- The first design draft of the Shenlong Gundam was to follow the national trend from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Shenlong Gundam's design is Chinese and was based on GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam. Notably, this second draft has a shield similar to XXXG-01D Gundam Deathscythe's buster shield with three physical blades and the dragon fang is mounted on the left arm instead of the right arm in the final design.
- ↑ Japanese Gundam Wikia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on MAHQ.net
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on Wikipedia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on GundamOfficial.com