XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A close combat mobile suit, the Shenlong Gundam is built by Master O of the L5 Colonies. Its primary armament consisted of head mounted vulcans, a Chinese/Japanese style "beam glaive", a shield on the left arm, and a Chinese inspired "dragon fang" on the right arm. The dragon fang is an extendable weapon armed with "claws" for grappling an opponent and two flamethrowers on the sides. Thanks to the dragon fang and its flamethrowers, the Shenlong also has medium range combat capabilities. In the Katoki version, the beam glaive is replaced by a beam trident and the dragon fang is non-extendable.
- Beam Glaive
- This javelin-style weapon is stored on the Shenlong Gundam's back. The beam blade at its tip can pierce its target's weak spots with pinpoint precision. The Katoki version has this weapon replaced with a single-ended beam trident.
- Beam Trident
- Used by the Katoki version, it is similar to the beam glaive just that the beam blade emitted is larger and shaped similar to a trident. Stored on the back when not in use.
- Dragon Fang
- A claw-like weapon shaped like a dragon's head, it is mounted on the right arm and flips forward when in use. In the TV Version, the dragon fang can be extended for medium-range combat as the right arm has additional segments folded in the shoulder. In the Katoki version, the dragon fang is much larger but non-extendable as the right arm is of the standard design. In both versions, it is often used for crushing enemies and mounts a pair of flamethrowers, adding to the dragon motif.
- These short-to-medium range weapons fire from the pair of nozzles built into the sides of the dragon fang. They can be used as part of the deadly "dragon fang fire" attack, in which the Shenlong Gundam seizes its target with the dragon fang and then fires a burst from the flamethrowers, melting the enemy's armor like water.
- Shenlong Shield
- The simple and compact design of this shield attests to the mobile suit's emphasis on melee combat. It can also be thrown as an offensive weapon.
- Vulcan Gun
- These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- An additional weapon for the Katoki version, making its debut in Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers. This sword is connected to the Shenlong Shield via a cable attached to the bottom of the hilt.
- Beam Cannon
- A weapon borrowed from the OZ-12SMS Taurus, the beam cannon is a large handheld beam weapon, it possesses a high output and is capable of destroying a Mobile Suit in a single shot.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fighting Sight
- A unique system installed in the shoulders and chest. During combat, it instantly calculates the precise position, movement, and weak points of an opponent.
- Self-Destruct System
- The Shenlong Gundam was built to self-destruct should the pilot choose to. A remote detonator is placed within the cockpit and if a dire situation arrives, the pilot can destroy the Mobile Suit. The system was designed to overload its power systems and has enough explosive power to destroy several city blocks. It's a last option tactic if the pilot is incapable of protecting the Mobile Suit, while not allowing it to fall into enemy hands. It also can be used as one large explosive device to eradicate large targets.
The Gundam called Shenlong was design and constructed by Master O somewhere in the L5 colony cluster. As the Shenlong Gundam was nearing completion, Mei Lan Long (Wufei's fiance) had taken the name of "Nataku", stole a mobile suit, apparently the OZ-00MS Tallgeese, when the colony was attacked. Nataku piloted the Tallgeese out into space with a beam cannon. The ensuing battle took its toll on Nataku and she later died in Wufei's arms. Her death caused Wufei to take up the job of piloting Shenlong against the United Earth Sphere Alliance and OZ. Throughout the series, Wufei affectionately called the Shenlong Gundam "Nataku" after his deceased wife.
Notes & Trivia
- Shenlong literally means "God Dragon" in Chinese/Mandarin.
- The first design draft of the Shenlong Gundam was to follow the national trend from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Shenlong Gundam's design is Chinese and was based on GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam. Notably, this second draft has a shield similar to XXXG-01D Gundam Deathscythe's buster shield with three physical blades and the dragon fang is mounted on the left arm instead of the right arm in the final design.
- The Shenlong Gundam was the only Gundam of the original 5 to not feature any clavicle-mounted weaponry such as missiles or machine guns.
- In its incomplete form (as seen in Episode Zero), the Shenlong did not feature its dragon fang arm, possessing a normal right arm and shoulder armor similar to its leftside.
- ↑ Japanese Gundam Wikia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on MAHQ.net
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on Wikipedia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on GundamOfficial.com