YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type
The YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type is a mobile suit featured in the original design series SEED-MSV and later appears in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Special Edition. The unit is piloted by Heine Westenfluss.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
As its name suggests, the GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type (EFT) was designed to serve as a testbed for new mobile suit weapons designed by ZAFT, particularly those later used in the ZGMF-X09A Justice and ZGMF-X10A Freedom. Among the weapons is the prototype of the Fatum-00 backpack/subflight lifter later used by the Justice, which replaces the backpack thrusters mounted on the standard GuAIZ. Initially, the subflight lifter had only 3 thrusters but due to insufficient thrust, it was increased to 6. Like the Justice's version, this backpack mounts 2 beam cannons, 4 GAU5 machine guns and 2 M9M9 turret machine guns. The MMI-M15 "Xiphias" rail cannons mounted on the MS's hips are the same as those used by the Freedom, while both the two MA-M01 "Lacerta" beam sabers and the optional MA-M20 "Lupus" beam rifle are the same models later used on both Gundams. Lastly, it mounts two MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS vulcan guns on its head and is the first mobile suit build by ZAFT to have Phase Shift armor.
The GuAIZ EFT was originally powered by battery pack like most MS of its time, and was unable to meet the energy needs of its PS armor and its energy intensive beam weaponry. When both systems ran concurrently, the MS only lasted for 5 minutes. The technicians later added an auxiliary power pack into the Subflight lifter but this only doubles the operating time. The energy issue was solved only when ZAFT got its hand on the Neutron Jammer Canceller, allowing the installation of a nuclear reactor. However for unknown reason, the nuclear reactor was later removed as evidenced by its appearance during the battle at Jachin Due where it was tethered to an external generator. It is unknown if the N-Jammer Canceller was removed as well.
- MA-M01 "Lacerta" Beam Saber
- The only close combat weapons of the mobile suit, they are mounted on the hips of the suit and can be combined into a double-bladed beam saber.
- MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS
- Mounted in the GuAIZ EFT's head are two "Picus" 76mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are mainly used for intercepting missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles.
- MMI-M15 "Xiphias" Rail Cannon
- same weapon as the ones on Freedom Gundam and are also mounted on the hips. They are useful for going through anti-beam defenses.
- MA-M20 "Lupus" Beam Rifle
- The upgraded version of GuAIZ's MA-M21G Beam Rifle. Typically held in the right hand, the beam rifle draws energy from the mobile suit's power plant to fire energy beams that are highly effective against conventional armor. So effective is the weapon that only a handful of shots are needed to completely destroy an Earth Alliance warship.
- MA-4B "Fortis" Beam Cannon
- A pair of rapid-fire "Fortis" beam cannons are mounted at the front of the backpack/subflight lifter, they serve as its main weapon.
- M9M9 "Cervus" Turret Machine Gun
- Mounted on the backpack/subflight lifter, they are mainly used to shoot down incoming missiles or close enemy units.
- GAU5 "Volucris" Machine Gun
- Four "Volucris" machine guns are mounted on the backpack/subflight lifter, they are mainly used to shoot down incoming missiles or close enemy units.
Special Equipment and Features
- Neutron Jammer Canceller
- GuAIZ EFT is equipped with a Neutron Jammer Canceller, which counters the effects of the ubiquitous Neutron Jammers and allows the suit to be powered by nuclear reactor, which solves its energy issue.
- Backpack/Subflight Lifter
- Prototype of the Fatum-00 backpack used by Justice, it can be used as a remote controlled attack unit or used as a subflight lifter when separated from the suit. The backpack mounts two MA-4B "Fortis" beam cannons, two M9M9 "Cervus" turret machine guns and lastly, four GAU5 "Volucris" machine guns. The "Cervus" turret machine guns are a later addition, they are installed after the MS's powerplant switch over to the nuclear reactor and the auxiliary power pack is removed.
- Phase Shift Armor
- GuAIZ EFT is equipped with Phase Shift (PS) armor that ZAFT obtained from the four Gundams that they stole from the Earth Alliance. When equipped with the Neutron Jammer Canceller and nuclear reactor, it can use the PS armor much longer.
Only three of this testbed mobile suit were produced and all participated in the last battle of the first war. There were rumours that deployment of these units in the battle were unauthorized and carried out independently by their pilots. During the battle, all 3 units are tethered to external generators on Jachin Due and fought as a fix turret of sorts, as their nuclear reactor have been removed, causing the energy intensive weapons to expend the suits' battery power very quickly. One unit was destroyed by Athrun Zala in the Justice. Another unit was piloted by Heine Westenfluss, who fought against Morgan Chevalier's GAT-01A1+AQM/E-X04 Gunbarrel Dagger, eventually overloading his machine and crippling it. The last known unit was destroyed by the combine efforts of Barry Ho's MBF-M1A M1A Astray and Jean Carry's MBF-M1 M1 Astray.
Notes & Trivia
- The story about the GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type piloted by Heine Westenfluss appears in the comic Bonbon adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny while the last unit appears in the photonovel, Seed MSV Senki.