YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type
|Developed from||ZGMF-600 GuAIZ|
|First Seen||February, 71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Heine Westenfluss|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in cockpit in chest|
|Armor||Phase Shift Armor|
The YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type is a prototype experimental firearms mobile suit, it is featured in the original design series SEED-MSV and later appears in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Special Edition. The unit is piloted by Heine Westenfluss.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
As its name suggests, the GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type was designed to serve as a testbed for several new mobile suit weapons designed by ZAFT, especially weapons and technology later used in the ZGMF-X09A Justice and ZGMF-X10A Freedom. Among the weapons is a Fatum-00 backpack/subflight lifter, similar to the one later used by the Justice, which replace the backpack thrusters mounted on the standard GuAIZ. Like the Justice' version this backpack mounts two beam cannons (which like its successors can be fired over the shoulder when mounted one the GuAIZ' back) and four machine cannons. The MMI-M15 "Xiphias" rail cannons mounted on the hips of this model are the same used by the Freedom, while both the two MA-M01 "Lacerta" beam sabers and the optional MA-M20 "Lupus" beam rifle are the same models later used on both Gundams. Lastly the GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type mounts two MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS vulcan guns on its head.
- MA-M01 "Lacerta" Beam Saber
- The only close combat weapons of the GuALZ are two MA-M01 "Lacerta" beam sabers, which are usually mounted on the hips of the suit. Can be combined into a double-bladed beam saber twice. This unique style of wielding the beam sabers allows it to engage multiple enemies in melee combat with ease.
- MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS
- The GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type mobile suit features 2 MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS guns mounted in the head. These guns fire small caliber, for a mobile suit, bullets at a high-speed rate of fire. With the movable head acting as a turret for the guns they are designed to shoot down incoming missiles or small lightly armored vehicles such as the Earth Alliance's missile trucks. Because of the weapons' relatively low power they are unsuitable for attack a more heavily armored target such as a mobile suit even at close range; however the CIWS can damage lightly armored areas such as sensors. When attacked by a CIWS system most pilots will instinctively work to protect their mobile suit, either by dodging or attempting to shield from the attack.
- MMI-M15 "Xiphias" Rail Cannon
- The same as in Freedom Gundam . Used to going through anti-beam defenses, the GuALZ features two hip-mounted rail cannons.
- Backpack/Subflight Lifter
- Used to flight in the atmosphere. Mounted a Beam Cannon and Machine Gun for extra firepower.
- MA-M20 "Lupus" Beam Rifle
- The upgraded veersion of GuALZ's MA-M21G Beam Rifle, and is the standard long range weapon of the Suit. Typically held in the right hand the beam rifle draws energy from the mobile suit's battery to fire beams of charged particles that are highly effective against conventional armor. So effective is the weapon that only a handful of shots are needed to completely destroy an Earth Alliance warship.
A specialized variant of the original ZGMF-600 GuAIZ, the YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type was created by ZAFT before the end of the Bloody Valentine War. Since it was designed as a testbed mobile suit, it never entered mass production, although at least three units were produced, with three of them fighting at the last battle of the war.
One unit tethered to an external generator on Jachin Due and fought as a fix turret of sorts, since it lacked a nuclear reactor, causing its strong weapons to expend the suits battery power very quickly. This unit was destroyed by Athrun Zala in the Justice. Another unit was piloted by Heine Westenfluss, who fought against Morgan Chevalier's GAT-01A1+AQM/E-X04 Gunbarrel Dagger at the battle of Jachin Due, eventually overloading his machine and crippling it.
Notes & Trivia
- The story about the GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type piloted by Heine Westenfluss appears in the comic Bonbon adaptation of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny.
- Many of the weapon use on the YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental firearm Type is use on Freedom and Justice. for example the MMI-M15 "Xiphias" Rail Cannon was given to Freedom while Justice get the Fatum-00/Subflight Lifter. But both Freedom and Justice has MA-M01 "Lacerta" Beam Sabers.