YMF-01B Proto GINN
|Manufacturer||Asimov Design Bureau|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in chest|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Though the Proto GINN possesses the same armaments as the GINN, it's maneuverability is lesser than that of it's mass produced successor unit as it's jet-pack contains fewer vernier thrusters than the wing appendages GINN. Thus it's maximum thrust output is significantly lower.
- MA-M3 Heavy Sword
- The Proto GINN uses its heavy sword as a melee weapon which can slice through most mobile suit's armor except those that use anti - trajectory technology like the Phase Shift armor
- MMI-M8A3 76mm Heavy Assault Machine Gun
- Like a regular defense machine gun turret, the Proto GINN's machine gun uses large 76mm round and it has the option to fire 3 round bursts or full automatic. The gun's capacity however, is slightly smaller than that used in the mass produced GINN
- M68 Pardus 3 Barrel Missile Launcher
- The 3 Barrel missile launchers of the Proto GINN are known to be attached to the legs of the mobile suit, but hasn't been confirmed to be used in the prototype, as the heavy weaponry can further degrade the mobile suit's already limited mobility
- M66 "Canus" Short-range Guided Missile Launcher
- Like the aiming system for the beam rifles, the missile launcher also uses lock - on system which to sets the target coordinates for the missiles. Unfortunately for the operator, the missile launchers only carry two missiles each and are not known to be reloaded on site
- M69 "Barrus" Heavy Ion Cannon
- For added firepower without affecting mobility, the Proto GINN can carry the heavy beam cannon that the regular GINN's carry. Even though they can both use the ion cannon, the Proto GINN's lack of thrusters limit it's use only in ground, unlike the GINN that can use the cannon while hovering
- M68 "Cattus" 500mm Recoilless Rifle
- Like the Reconnaissance GINN model, the Proto GINN can also use this riffle. The Proto GINN's use of the riffle is limitated due to the large space the thrusters occupy in the mobile suit's back, the Proto GINN doesn't have additional storage space for the rifle and may limit the limb movement of the mobile suit
The first mobile suit built by ZAFT and the first suit ever built was the YMF-01B Proto GINN. This suit served as the prototype for the later mass produced ZGMF-1017 GINN. Afterwards many Proto GINNs are redesignated as ZGMT-01 GINN Trainers, and all ZAFT mobile suit pilots are initially trained on this machine.
In Gundam SEED DESTINY however, it appears that the Proto GINN, along with other GINN models that succeeded it, have been phased out by ZAFT in exchange for the more agile and durable ZAKU, which may have also been used as training units for the ZAFT academy.
- The Proto-GINN bears a close resemblance to the Universal Century's MS-05A Zaku I. Like wise the Proto-GINN's successor unit, the ZGMF-1017 GINN, closely resembles the MS-06 Zaku II. The GINN and Zaku mobile suit lines performed similar roles in their respective timelines, as the events of the Cosmic Era were largely derived from those of the early Universal Century.